✗ fifty-four ✗

Start from the beginning

I want the house to look spotless when Harry arrives, not that it's too terribly dirty. Harry always says I'm a clean freak, I guess he has a point.

"Is that your phone?"

"Huh?" I shake out of my own world to hear my phone vibrating against the table to my left.

I drop the brush down on the counter and wipe my hands off before rushing to answer the phone. For all I know it could be Harry saying that he's stuck somewhere like France or India; and lord knows how he gets when he's stranded in a foreign country.

I barely answer the phone and greet the unknown caller before the man on the other line starts speaking. As soon as I hear his name my heart drops in my chest and I fall into the chair at the end of the table. Louis rushes over to my side as the caller waits for my response.

"Yes, detective, this is she." Detective Briar.

"Hello Shay, I hope you've been well."

I was until you called.

"As well as can be expected when you're stressed and pregnant." I say, trying to lighten my nerves. Louis looks absolute scared out of his mind, as if the person on the other line is demanding ransom for Harry or something like that. I reach out and place my hand on Louis' arm motioning for him to calm down. "What can I do for you, Detective Briar?"

Louis' face relaxes ever so slightly at the mention of Detective Briar before worry etches itself back onto his features.

"Please, call me Chris, Shay. I'm calling today to inform you of the trial revolving around your case; the trial that will hopefully put Mr. Morgan behind bars for the rest of his life." I can feel my chest constricting tightly over the mention of his name, a name that I didn't think I would ever have to hear for the rest of my life.

"Why hadn't I been informed of a trial before?"

I guess I should have known that there would be a trial in the future for my case, but I blocked it out. I thought if I didn't think or worry about it that the day would never come. I just assumed that my attacker would go behind bars with the evidence provided and my statement against him.

"I tried to make you aware the day you came to the precinct, but we didn't get that far. We thought this trial would be taken to court within the first couple of weeks after identification and detainment, obviously that didn't play through. There were complications with the system, nothing to do specifically with your case; it just pushed the timeline back. In four weeks time you will have to appear in court to testify against Mr. Morgan for his wrongdoings."

"Oh God." I gasp, my hand flying up to cover my mouth. I have to see this man, face to face, in the state that I'm in. As soon as he sees me, pregnant, he's going to know.

He'll try to be in her life, he'll try to hurt her; he'll try to hurt me again.

"The baby, he's going to know. He'll figure it out. My boyfriend, Harry, wants to adopt her and if he-" The words can't seem to tumble from my lips, just fade into an uncomfortable silence with dread and fear seeping in through the cracks. Louis' sat at my side, rubbing my back comfortingly as I freak, the only context he gets is from my side of the conversation.

"Because of Mr. Morgan's nature, his parental rights will be terminated at the time of birth due to unfitness, among other reasons that our court system will see. You can go over the information pertaining to that with your own lawyer as well as a judge and myself. As for this trial, Ms. Nichols, he will not be able to harm you. There will be multiple detectives and bobbies in the room, as well a full jury and many witnesses. He won't be able to physically get near to you."

"But I have to be in the same room as him."

There's a pause on the other line and I already know what it's for. I know the answer that is going to leave Detective Briar's mouth.

"Yes, you'll have to be in the same room as him, unless we make other arrangements, but -"

"What if the jury finds him not guilty?" I wonder, interrupting the detective from spewing more unneeded information.

I can't imagine with all the evidence that my case has that a jury would ever find him not guilty, but what if?

There's no way in hell I will stay in London if that's the case. I will move out of the country to escape the possibility of him showing up one day. I will leave as soon as the announcement is made if it happens. I'll drag Harry with me, even if it affects his work. I'll do anything to escape this.

"Normally I would say that that verdict being reached is a possibility, but with your case I don't foresee a sane jury finding Mr. Morgan not guilty. We have DNA samples, your eyewitness accounts, and his criminal priors. There's no way Mr. Morgan is going to be set free."

A sigh of relief leaves my lips at the determination set in his voice. I believe him. I believe that he won't let this happen.

"When is the trial?"

"The 4th of October." I take a glance at the calendar hung behind Louis' head and quietly curse to myself.

The entire summer flew by in the blink of an eye. My attacker being arrested, the banquet, our trip to the zoo with Lux, and my birthday highlighting the summer. It seems as if we didn't take any time at all to sit back and enjoy it. With it being in the midst of September I feel like this year is flying by and the date of our daughter's birth is approaching fast.

"I'll send more information your way about pre-trial and preparation for the trial at a further date, when I know more myself. In the meantime I would get into contact with your lawyer and get he or she caught up with everything."

"Okay." I mutter, already beginning to stress over this stuff.

"I don't want you to stress too much about this, Shay. We've got everything under control. Is there anything else I can do or explain for you?" Detective Briar asks.

I shake my head no before answering slowly and trying to contain the sob that wants to let loose.

"No. I'll speak to you later Detective. Thank you for calling. Goodbye." I mumble, hanging up the phone.

As soon as I've dropped the phone onto the table before me, I'm a sobbing mess in Louis' arms. I cry out against his chest and allow him to hold me tight as I let the most heart aching sobs leave my lips. I need Harry at a time like this, but alas he's not here and he won't be here for hours.

"It's going to be okay, Shay." Louis' assures me, though he only heard half the conversation. I have a feeling he put two and two together to figure out the detective I was talking to and the trial that I mentioned had to do with me and that night last April.

"I need Harry."

"I know, I know." Louis' coos, rubbing my back and shifting in his seat so we're in a more comfortable position as I cry in his arms.

"He'll be home soon, Shay. Everything will be okay."