Frisk swore that the temperature in the room had shot up. He knew that she hadn't meant to sound romantic, but still...

... it's possible that I may have a problem...

Frisk calmed himself and smiled back. "Yes, we'll do this together."

Toriel smiled. "Aw, look at my children!"

Asriel grinned. "Yeah! Look at your children!"

Asriel...

"Say, Chara," Asriel chirped, "you think of me as a brother, don't you?"

Chara blinked. "Umm, yes?"

Asriel, shut up.

"What about Frisk, then? You've both been adopted by Toriel, after all."

"Oh, uh... well..."

Frisk felt a mix of despair and guilt. Asriel had a point. It broke his heart, but it probably would have been weird if he dated Chara. What would she think of him if he came out and told her? What if she thought he was disgusting? What if it ruined their friendship? Frisk couldn't deny he had feelings for her, but... perhaps it was time to face reality and cast aside his twisted fourteen-year-old desires.

"... no," Chara said.

Wait, what?

Asriel had a smug smile on his face. "No...? Why not?"

Chara's face reddened even more than usual. "I... I just don't, okay?!"

"Well, if that is how you feel," Toriel said. "Emotions can be complicated. If you do not view Frisk as a brother, that is fine. You are not related by blood, after all. I just hope you consider Frisk's feelings."

Chara grew flustered. "I'm sorry, Frisk!"

"Umm, it's okay," Frisk said. "I, uh, feel the same way, actually."

"It's not that you're not important to me. You're very important to me! It's just... it's been a long time since I've had my own SOUL. I was always able to feel your emotions, but it wasn't the same as having my own. For the first time in years, I can feel for myself again. Thank you, Frisk."

Frisk felt his heart race. "Chara..."

Someone knocked on the door. Toriel's guest had arrived.

"Knock, knock," a familiar voice called.

Toriel grinned. "Who's there?"

"Toriel."

"Toriel who?"

"Toriel's best friend!"

Toriel opened the door and hugged Sans. "Aw, you are so sweet."

"They sure get along well, don't they?" Asriel whispered. "I wonder if they'll ever..."

Frisk laughed. "Nah, I think they're just really good friends."

Chara frowned. "I'm... not sure how I'd feel about that."

Frisk frowned too. "I know what you mean, and I wasn't even around when Mom and Dad were together. It makes me sad, but I don't blame Toriel. She and Asgore are on somewhat good terms. I can't ask for more than that."

Chara sighed. "Another consequence of my actions..."

"HELLO!" another familiar voice shouted.

"Oh, yeah," Sans said. "Papyrus came too."

"I heard we're meeting new friends!" Papyrus exclaimed.

"Yes!" Toriel answered. She let them inside and introduced them. "Sans, Papyrus, please meet my long lost children, Asriel and Chara!"