Namjoon - Neighbors

Start from the beginning

You extend your hand, offering him a treat. He eats it excitedly. Makki's attention shifts between the ball and the other treats in your hand. Namjoon approaches the two of you.

"Well you got him to let the ball go," Namjoon points out.

"Time to teach him to return it," you say.

After 30 minutes of tossing the ball to Makki and having to trade him treats for the ball, you lie down on the grass near the fence separating your house from Namjoon's. Makki taunts you with the ball in his mouth on the other side of the yard. Namjoon collapses on the ground next to you.

"Not as easy as you thought, huh?" Namjoon teases.

"Shut up," you say jokingly.

By now, the sun has shifted slightly. You appreciate the breeze a little more after becoming sweaty from playing with Makki. You catch a whiff of Namjoon's cologne. It smells vaguely of pine needles and lavender. Your eyes flutter shut as you take another sniff.

A small nudge on your hand captures your attention. At first you think it's Namjoon trying to be slick, but you realize that it's actually Makki's paw. He sits on the grass between you and Namjoon, pawing at your hand. You sit up. Makki's eyes drift to the tennis ball in front of him.

"Ready to give it another go, Makki?"

Makki stands in response. You toss the ball for the hundredth time. Makki sprints after it. He grabs it and stands in place for a few moments. Both you and Namjoon call out to Makki encouragingly. Makki eagerly charges toward the two of you. You squat and open your arms to welcome him. He drops the ball in front of you before jumping on you. Namjoon chuckles as Makki attacks your face with doggy kisses.

"Cut it out, Makki," you laugh and try to cover your face to no avail.

"I think Lara's had enough of you," Namjoon says, lifting the puppy off of you and placing him in his lap.

"I disagree," you counter. "I think I might have to keep him."

Namjoon holds Makki protectively. "I don't think so. Makki wants to stay with me. Right, Makki?" The puppy lets out a bark.

"He clearly likes me better," you roll your eyes, feigning annoyance. "That's why he brought me the ball."

Namjoon places Makki on the grass. Makki runs between yours and Namjoon's legs.

"That's only because you were practically begging him. He felt bad for you." Namjoon picks up the ball. "I'll show you."

Namjoon stretches awkwardly, causing you to laugh. He brings his arm backwards and launches the ball into the air. Makki is too busy eating the treats you accidently dropped to care about the ball. You and Namjoon, however, watch as the ball soars over the fence. The sudden shattering of glass causes you to look at Namjoon in horror.

"Shit," he curses under his breath.

You think about running to your house, but the door is too far. Instead, you grab Makki and carefully place him over the fence into Namjoon's yard and proceed to climb over it. It takes Namjoon a second to realize what you were doing, but he manages to scramble over the fence, too. He grabs your arm and lead you to his patio. Once he manages to get the sliding door open the two of you rush inside with Makki trailing happily behind. You look at Namjoon and cover your mouth to keep from laughing.

"Were you really just going to leave me there to take the blame?" He tries to hide the smile slowly spreading across his face.

"I wasn't going down for something you did," you retort between giggles.