Hoseok - Dance Lesson

for ninjamidori

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jump, step, roll and turn," the choreographer instructs.

You attempt the moves once again and fail. The teacher glares at you. You apologize for what seems like the hundredth time to the choreographer and your classmates.

"If you can't keep up with the rest of the students, Madi, you should drop the class." You hear snickers from your classmates and your face goes red with embarrassment. "Now, from the top."

You silently slip away from the other students and take a seat in the back. You watch as the other students perform the routine flawlessly. In the mirror, you catch the eye of a handsome boy who is dancing effortlessly. The boy's name is Jung Hoseok, but everyone one calls him J-Hope. He's the best dancer in the school. He gives you a small smile before continuing the dance.

At the end of class, you grab your things and head to the changing rooms. All of the other girls start laughing as soon as you open the door. You put your head down and continue to your locker. Some of the words that are being shared between your classmates make their way into your ears.

"I don't know why she's still here."

"She should just give up already."

"If we let her on stage with us, we'll all look bad."

You try your best to ignore them, but it is hard. As soon as you were all packed up, you practically run to the door. Since you aren't looking at where you are going, you bump into someone.

"Sorry," you bow your head in apology, not meeting the person's eyes.

"It's fine." By the extremely deep voice you assume it's a guy.

You look up quickly and see a warm smile. There are six other guys surrounding him; J-Hope is among them. It is rumored that the seven of them were starting a group.

The boys walk past you, but J-Hope catches your eye. He gives you another one of his lovely smiles, but you're too shy to respond to it.

You quickly walk away and head back to the dance studio. After making sure that it was empty, you slip inside. The lights flicker on and you drop your bags near the door. You walk over to the sound system and play the song to the dance your class is learning. You try to follow along to the music, but you still can't seem to get it right.

After an hour of practicing the routine, you still have not improved. Your shirt is sticking to your skin and sweat is making its way down your face. You wipe it away angrily and replay the song.

"Madi?" You hear someone call over the music. J-Hope is leaning against the wall watching you.

"Hi, sorry. I didn't see you there." You suddenly become really self-conscious.

"You're getting better," J-Hope comments. "You just need to put more emotion into it."

"I can't even remember all of the moves," you sigh. "Maybe I should just drop the class."

J-Hope walks toward you. "I'll help you."

For the next hour, J-Hope walks you through all of the steps and you finally can perform the entire routine without mistakes. You enjoy your time with J-Hope and appreciate his kindness.

"Thank you," you smile and give him a small hug.

He shakes his head and returns the smile. "Anytime. And you're a really good dancer by the way. You just needed someone to point out some things."

Before either of you could say anything else, the door to the studio opens. The girls that were in the changing rooms enter.

"Hobi oppa!" One of them squeals. She took notice of you and her lips curl up in disgust. "Why are you here with her?"

J-Hope rolls his eyes. "I was helping Madi out with the choreography."

"Even with your amazing skills, you can't help someone with zero talent." Another one pipes up. Your eyes sting with tears threatening to spill over, but you refuse to cry.

"Zero talent? You're one to talk," J-Hope was angry. "I've seen all of you dance and I'm not impressed. At least Madi has the decency to continue practicing instead of pretending to be amazing at dancing. A giraffe on roller skates looks better than all of you combined."

You stare at J-Hope in shock. He grabs your arm and picks up your belongings before pushing past the stunned girls. You turn back to look at them with a smug smile on your face.

When you and J-Hope were near the front of the school, he turns to you.

"Don't listen to them." He says softly. "Their words mean nothing."

You smile and thank him. He bites his lip as if he was trying to hold onto his words. Finally, he breaks the silence.

"Would you like to go out to eat?" J-Hope rubs the back of his neck nervously. "My friends are going to be there, too."

"Sure," you smile widely.

Together, the two of you walk out of the building and toward a car where J-Hope's friends were waiting. He introduces you to them and the eight of you split up into two cars. You smile to yourself the whole way to the restaurant.