Chapter Eleven: Two Admirers... ?

Start from the beginning

"Me?" Aeriel repeated. "But... we just met yesterday. And we didn't have a long conversation."

"You two are stunning," Patrick said and winked. "Shall we walk to Biology room?" 

Aeriel gave him a short smile. "You two go ahead," she said. "I'll have to stop by at the Student Council room. Just checking on my fellow people."

I nodded. "Don't be late," I said.

She gave me a confident smile. "A president... late?" she said and shook her head in mock disappointment. "You two go ahead. I can sense Patrick wants to have a private moment with you."

Aeriel waved goodbye and left. Patrick and I started walking slowly to the Biology room. At first, we were just quiet. Then he cleared his throat. "Next week is Prom, Kate," he said.

"Prom?" I repeated. What in the world is Prom? Is that some kind of occasion? "I'm sorry, Patrick, but what's Prom?"

Patrick laughed. "You seriously don't know what Prom is?" he said. "Girls usually love Prom--addicted to it, maybe. Anyways, Prom is something of a formal party. I really don't know why there is a Prom in High Schools. Boys asks girls to be their partners and they dance. There will be a grand entrance of every partners in the Junior year, pictures--lot of them will end up in Facebook--and a competition."

"Comepetition?" I repeated. "Of what?"

"Our Prince and Princess," Patrick said. "They will pick the most handsome guy and he will be crowned as Prince. And then they will pick the most beautiful girl and she will be crowned as Princess. Then they will have the first dance. Sometimes they even kiss."

"Oh," I said, thinking about our kiss yesterday. With a jolt, I remembered we just met yesterday. I supressed a small smile. "So... who are you going with?"

"You," Patrick said shortly. "I wanted to ask you... Would you go to Prom with me?"

"Me?" I repeated. "But why me? We just met yesterday. I am not beautiful, I am not popular. You should ask Joanne or someone like her. Besides, I don't know how to dance. And I don't have anything formal to wear on a formal party like that."

"When I broke up with Joanne, she told me yesterday that she will go out with someone else for Prom," Patrick said. "She wants me to be jealous, but I just said, 'Fine.' So that means... she's not my date anymore. And I can't appear at Prom dateless. That'll ruin my reputation!"

I rolled my eyes. "You and your reputation!" I snorted. "There are a lot of girls who would dump their partners for you. Why would you want to ask me?"

"Because you are Kate Roberts," Patrick said. "I kind of like you."

"Don't lie," I said. "We just met yesterday."

"So?" Patrick said.

"I need to ask permission if I can go to Prom," I said. 

"Permission?" Patrick repeated, looking aghast. "Why would you ask permission? It's a school event." I kept quiet because I don't know what to say. "Fine. Be like that. If you can't go to Prom, we're going in a date. A formal date. Just you and I. Don't you dare refuse because I don't wear tuxedoes in dates but in our date, I will. Friday night, okay? I'll pick you up."

"Fine, I'll go in this... date," I said, rolling my eyes. "But I can't promise you I could go with you at Prom. You just think of yourself, Patrick. You want me to go with you because I'm your closest girl friend. Your ex doesn't want to be your parnter anymore and you couldn't manage to go alone in Prom. In other words, you are using me so that you could not embarass yourself! Am I right?"

Patrick stopped walking and I turned to see his expression. He was glaring at me. "We have a date, okay?" he said. "Friday night. You have three days to prepare for that. Go buy a new dress or make up. I don't care. Just be formal on Friday night. It's going to be only you and I. And as for Prom... fine! You got me! I'm using you so that I could not embarass myself. But because I like you, I would go to Prom alone. You hear me? I'm going to Prom alone. I don't care about my reputation now. And I will show you I don't care about my reputation because I like you, Kate. I fucking like you so much that I don't know what to do. It's weird, alright. We just met yesterday. But I will fucking embarass myself to prove I fucking like you."

Some people was staring at us, but I ignored them. That time, the only people who exists in my world is Patrick and I. "Patrick..." I started. But I don't know what to say. What should I say? Should I tell him my secret? No... of course not. That would just mess things up...

Patrick rolled his eyes and waved his hand dismissively. "Go on to Biology room alone," he said. "I need to go."

"Where?" I asked.

"To my hideout," Patrick said. "I need to think about my feelings for you. I hope Alice could help."

"Let me go with you," I offered.

"No," Patrick said, his voice hard as stone. "I need to think privately."

He turned and walked away, leaving me with all alone. I sighed. I was about to tell him my teeny little secret. It's good I stopped myself before I could say anything that will break our friendship.

Anyways, I continued walking to the Biology room. There were about ten people talking and laughing. I walked slowly to my seat and sighed again. Human feelings are complicated. I opened my Biology book so I could do something to pass the time. And inside, was a small pink paper. I picked it up and studied it. There was some words on it...

Hi, Kate. It's me, BJ Ramirez. Sorry if I just wrote these things on a piece of paper. I never really had the guts to say something in person. Anyways, it was a little weird of me to kiss your hand yesterday. It's just that... you seriously looked like a girl I just met when I was just child. About five or six years old. My parents are divorced now. But when I was a child, they used to fight a lot. I used to go out from that hell of a house and cry my eyes out in a river near Patrick's house. Well, not the mansion now. But his house back at Connecticut. The river calms me. I seriously don't know why. But I am no Son of Poseidon. Well, anyways, there was this particular night when I was five or six years old when I stayed at the river because my parents were fighting again. Then I saw you. You look like five or six, too. You were practically glowing. You had the same eyes and hair and complexion. Your complexion caught me off guard. You were so white. You were wearing a white dress and you had wings. I don't know why, but you seriously had wings. It wasn't Halloween that time. You asked me why I was crying. Somehow, it was easy to tell you that my parents are fighting. Patrick and Carl never knew. You consoled me and you comforted me... The next night, I came back again but you weren't there. I came back every night of my entire life--until now--to that river, hoping I could see you again. But you never came back again... And I made a promise that I will look for you. I don't know why but I seem to like this angel. Not like as a friend. But like as love. And that's why I feel a little bit weird when I saw you. And I am sure it was you. Only three words Kate Roberts: I like you. And I know you were the same child I saw eleven years ago. 

Sorry if I disturbed you. But I just want you to know that I will do everything to win your heart. Because you are my angel. I know it.

After reading, my eyes and cheeks were wet with tears. No... it cannot be him. He can't be the small child I saw years ago.

I was a small angel that time. And I flew down to Earth because of curiosity. Without knowing it, I talked with BJ. And now, he likes me. But not as a friend. But as a love. How could I tell him my teenly little secret?

That I like Patrick Hall?