Chapter Nine: Meet the Adams Sisters

Start from the beginning

That explains it. She might have liked Patrick and got jealous when she saw him together with me. I cleared my throat and tried my best to glare at Patrick. "Why did you kiss me?" I asked. "You still haven't answered that question."

Patrick shrugged. "So I really need to answer that question, huh?" he said and I firmly nodded. "Well, I choose not to answer that question." He stoop up before I could stop him. "I'll just call someone to clean this mess."

And he left. Just like that. I sighed and buried my head on my hands. My heart was beating so fast when Patrick kissed me. Now it turned back to the normal rate. My head is aching now. It was spinning when he kissed me. Is this normal? When someone kisses you, is this normal? I am afraid to know the answer.

I was too busy pondering on my thoughts that I didn't hear the footsteps walking to me. I looked up and saw it was Beverly walking towards me. She stopped just two meters away and she folded her arms. "What are you still doing here, Kate?" she asked. "Patrick is done with you. He got whatever he wanted from you."

"What do you mean?" I asked, completely puzzled.

"You seriously don't know this?" Beverly asked. I shook my head innocently. That made her roll her big black eyes. "Well, I need to explain. Patrick has this five-second crush syndrome. Like when he sees a hot girl, he manages to date them."

"No," I said. "Patrick is my friend. He wouldn't date me. We're not taking relationship seriously."

"Whatevs," Beverly said and raised her hand dismissively. "He gave you a tray of cookies and juice and made it spill, didn't he? Then he kissed you."

My mouth opened with complete shock. "How--how did you know?" I stammered.

She smiled triumphantly. "Patrick does that to any girl he sees," she said. "Particularly hot girls. Like you. I've been here the whole second semester and living with Patrick for a few weeks already made me realize he's toying with girls."

I stood up and took a step backward. No. This is not true. Patrick likes me. Maybe not as a girlfriend., but a friend. He brought me to his secret hideout. I made him realize that Joanne is not a good girlfriend. He broke up with her because I gave him a talk. An advice. "No..." I mumbled.

"Trust me, Kate," Beverly said, sympathetically. "If I were you, I'd go back to where I belong. You don't belong with Patrick."

Before I could respond, a female voice suddenly spoke. "Beverly!" it said. Beverly's eyes flared with impatience and turned. "Beverly, where are you?"

"Living room," Beverly yelled.

Two seconds after, another redhead appeared. She looks a little bit older, maybe eighteen years old. She was smiling at me in a friendly way--which is good. Maybe she's a friendly person. "Hello there," she greeted me. "I'm Fatima Adams, Beverly's older sister."

"Kate Roberts," I said.

"Why are you all here?" Fatima asked. Beverly and I didn't respond. Then Fatima's eyebrows furrowed. She looked at Beverly. "You didn't tell her the lie again, did you?"

"What if I did?" Beverly snapped coldly. 

Fatima raised her arms in exasperation. "I told you to stop that!" she said, her voice unmistakbly angry. "You never knew when to stop, don't you?! You will never earn his love if you lie to every girl he brings about that!"

"It's the truth!" Beverly said coldly, glaring at her sister.

"No, it's not and you know it!" Fatima said angrily. "Go to your room, Beverly, if you don't want me to ground you. And, believe me, I have the power to."

"You act like Mom and Dad!" Beverly yelled at her angrily. "But you will never be our parents! Just shut the fuck up, okay?! And mind your own fucking business!"

"Don't use that tone to me, Beverly," Fatima said, staring down at her with distaste. "Go to your room."

Just for a second, they were glaring at each other. Then a tear fell from Beverly's eye and she rushed out the living room. Fatima sighed deeply and sat down on a couch. She stared at the carpet a long time. Then I cleared my throat. "I... I better go," I said.

"No; wait for Patrick," Fatima said.

"But... Beverly told me Patrick is using me," I said timidly. I just met this girl a few minutes back and now here I am talking about my problem. "Is... is it true?"

Fatima shrugged. "I seriously don't know, Kate," she said. "I apologize if Beverly was like that. Last semester, our parents died. I--I can't talk about it. Anyway, we were sent to live with Uncle Alphonse and we met his stepson, Patrick. He knows the feeling of losing someone you truly love. That's why he consoled Beverly. She fell in love with him. Patrick didn't. Patrick was pretty close with Alice. Beverly and I stayed with them for two weeks when Alice died in a car accident. Beverly tried to console Patrick but ... he was always out. He doesn't want any company. And about this girl business... Yes, Patrick does bring girls here. But we don't know if he's really toying with them."

I kept quiet and let the information sink in. He's not really toying with me after all. But how did Beverly knew about the juice and the cookies and the kiss? Maybe she saw us... Maybe she didn't... I don't know. But I know Patrick is not toying with me. He wouldn't do that to me. 

Would he?