Chapter 82

"Happy Birthdayyyyyy!" Ally and Camila both jumped onto Lauren's bed at midnight making Lauren scream since she was asleep. "What the fuck?!" "Camz? Aren't you supposed to be back in Miami?" "You didn't think I'd miss my best friend's birthday did you? Come on Lo." Camila smacked her arm. "Uh, ow??!" "Oh suck it up birthday girl, Ally has a whole day planned." "Allyyyy, you shouldn't have." "Yeah well I did, so there." Ally stuck her tongue out at Lauren. "Are you guys done? Or can I go back to sleep?" Camila and Ally giggled. "You can go back to sleep, goodnight Laur." "Night Allycat." Lauren chuckled. Camila got into bed beside Lauren and laid next to her, hands clasped over her stomach. "What's on your mind?" Lauren asked knowingly. "It's nothing." Lauren turned her head to look at her, a pressing gaze meeting Camila's brown eyes. "Okay, fine. I just," Camila sighed. "I always thought Mani would be here for your 18th." Lauren tensed up. "Me too." "She would have thrown a massive party, gone really over the top, probably got you some massive gift that you couldn't fit anywhere if you tried.." Lauren chuckled. "Yup, sounds about right." "So," Camila said brightly, changing the mood. "are you excited or are you excited?" Camila grinned. "Honestly, I mean, I've felt like an adult for ages with everything that went on, now it's just official." "Don't you miss your family?" Lauren sighed. "I should, I know I should, but it's so painful being back in Miami." Camila got her phone out and handed it to her best friend. "Call them." "What?" Lauren looked at her like she was crazy. "You heard me, call them. You don't have to tell them where you are, just, I don't know, explain why you left as best you can, let them tell you happy birthday." "I doubt Taylor will even talk to me." "You never know, maybe she misses you so much her mind will be so relieved to care about your sexuality when she hears your voice." Lauren hesitantly took the phone. "What if I wake them up?" "I'm sure they'd think it was worth it." Lauren took a deep breath and dialled the number, staring at the call button, too nervous to press it. But Camila did it for her, so she had no choice. She was too much of a chicken to hang up. The phone rang four times, and just when Lauren was about to give up, her mother answered the phone. "Hello?" Her voice was tired, instantly Lauren felt bad. "Mom?" "Lauren? Baby is that you?" Lauren smiled weakly to herself. "It's me Mami." "Oh my gosh my baby-Micheal wake up! Wake up, Lauren's on the phone!" A groan escaped the older man's lips as he opened his eyes. "Come again darling?" Lauren heard from her side. "Lauren, Lauren called, she's okay!" Mike's eyes lit up and he got out of bed and rushed over to his wife. "Lauren honey, where are you? Are you safe?" "I'm fine Mom, I'm not..I won't tell you where I am, but I just, it was so painful being in Miami, I had to leave, you understand that right?" Clara looked at her husband who looked back at her and slightly nodded. "We understand Lauren. You're a big girl now, we just miss you." Clara passed the phone to her husband, she could tell he was dying to talk to his eldest daughter. "Lauren?" "Daddy!" Lauren felt tears spring to her eyes involuntarily. "Are you alright?" "I'm okay, I'm fine. But, I'm not coming home, not yet at least. It hurts too much." Lauren sniffled. "I know honey." "Dad, does Taylor still hate me?" "Call again in the morning when they're awake, you can talk to your brother and sister then. I'm sure Taylor will be happy to hear you're okay." Lauren rubbed her forehead and closed her eyes. "I'm sorry I woke you guys." "That's okay baby, it was well worth it. Can we come and visit you?" Her Mom was back on the phone now. "Not now, give me some time. I need some time." Lauren said shakily. "I'm sorry, it's hard." "Well we'll talk to you in the morning." Her Dad said. The phone must be on speaker. "Okay." "And Lauren?" Her mother started. "Yeah?" "Happy Birthday." Her mother and father said together making Lauren's bottom lip tremble and her voice shaky. "Thank you." "Goodnight Lolo, we'll talk to you later." Her father said, she could hear the smile in his voice. "We love you honey." Her mother said honestly. Lauren took a deep breath. "I love you guys too." The call ended and Lauren closed her eyes for a few moments. "How'd it go?" Camila asked gently. Lauren had forgotten she was there. "It went, it went okay." She said softly. Camila frowned slightly and opened her arms for the older girl. Lauren shuffled into her best friend's body and couldn't help but cry. "You know you're not supposed to cry on your birthday." Camila said teasingly. Lauren sniffled and pulled her closer. "Shut up." She mumbled shakily into her chest. Camila sighed and pressed a gentle kiss on her forehead, letting it linger before resting it on top of her head. "What's wrong?" "I don't-I just-I'm sad Camzi. I'm so sad." Lauren cried. "Let it out Lolo, I got you." Camila mumbled. "Always?" "Siempre." Camila replied, running her fingers through her best friend's hair.