Chapter 62

When they arrived at the hospital Normani was deemed a priority and immediately whisked away before Lauren could do a thing. In a way she was glad, but at the same time she needed to know what was going on and of course, how her girlfriend was. She was forced to just sit in a dreaded, uncomfortable, waiting room seat. The waiting room was filled with groans of pain and moans of waiting time, cries of misery and worry for loved ones. She couldn't lose her. Lauren was scared she would lose Normani. There was an increased risk with her eating disorders and the blood loss, so there was a high chance she wouldn't make it. But then Normani was a fighter, so Lauren had hope she would. Even if she was wrong, that still gave the Cuban some comfort. "Lauren!" A familiar pair of voices called out, it was her father and brother. Lauren immediately ran to them and cried in both of their arms. "It's okay Lolo, she's a strong girl. She'll be okay." Her father soothed. Lauren sobbed into her father's shirt and squeezed her brother's hand. "W-where's T-Taylor?" Chris cleared his throat awkwardly. "Doesn't matter. You have us. You don't need her here the way she's acting right now." Lauren was upset she wasn't there to support her, but she could see where Chris is coming from. "Sorry, I had to find somewhere to park. Is there any news?" Clara asked breathlessly from running. "Not yet." Lauren sniffled. "They took her in first as a priority-Mom what if she doesn't make it?" Lauren whimpered. "She will honey. You'll see." She stroked the tears from her eldest's cheeks. "All we can do is wait for now." Her father said as he lead them over to the waiting room chairs. "God this is torture." Lauren said, bouncing her leg impatiently. It felt like she'd been sat there for hours, but it had only been ten minutes. "Don't worry too much. We'll hear something soon sis." Chris said, placing a hand on her still knee. "I hope so." Lauren breathed. A paramedic and doctor approached the family that she recognised so Lauren stood up hurriedly. "How's Normani? Is she okay?" She asked hurriedly. "She's been sedated at the moment. Her wounds have been closed and bandaged. Normani did lose a lot of blood however, which means she may need a blood transfusion, however we're confident that she'll make a full recovery." Everyone breathed a huge sigh of relief and Lauren smiled widely. "Thank you so much." Clara smiled. "Can I see her?" Lauren asked the two medics hopefully. "She's asleep, but you can sit with her if you like." Lauren nodded quickly. "I'll just show you to her room." The paramedic said, leading a very relieved Lauren down a long corridor. "Here it is." The woman smiled. "Thanks so much for your help." Lauren said, hugging the woman making her eyes widen in surprise till she hugged her back. "No worries honey, it's my job." Lauren pulled away and wiped her eyes. "You take care of her, she's a good kid." "I know." Lauren smiled shyly. "Bye then." Lauren waved and opened the door to her girlfriend's room. Normani was sleeping peacefully, her wrists bandaged and restrained a little above her wounds. Lauren understood why though, she must be on a suicide watch. Lauren pulled the chair closer to the bed and sat down. She reached her hand out and gently stroked Normani's cheek. "Thank God you're okay." She whispered and kissed her forehead. Lauren held her hand and carefully intertwined their fingers before laying her head on their hands, yawning. It must have been 2, maybe 3am by now. No wonder she was tired. "Night baby, I love you so much." Lauren whispered, kissing her girlfriend's hand and closing her eyes. The next morning Lauren woke up to a groan. Her head lifted to see Normani stirring from her drug induced sleep. "Hey baby, how you feeling?" Normani widened her eyes. "What are you-what happened? Where am I? Where are we?" Normani asked her frantically. "And what are these?" Normani asked Lauren when she saw and felt the restraints. "Calm down baby. I'll explain everything after." "After what?" "I have to go get your doctor, tell em you're awake." "Lauren-" "I'll be two seconds babe." Lauren said, pecking her girlfriend's lips and leaving the room. "Ah Normani, you're awake." Evidently. "Yeah." Normani spoke hoarsely. Lauren immediately got the cup of water and held it to her mouth, since she was still restrained. Normani sighed and allowed her throat to feel the relief of the cool liquid, despite the awkward help from her girlfriend. "Why am I restrained?" She asked when her voice had returned to normal. "You tried to kill yourself. It's hospital procedure." "Well I'm alive, so can you take 'em off?" "Do you promise not to harm yourself?" Normani took one look at Lauren who looked sad and hopeful and nodded to the doctor. "I promise." The doctor nodded to the nurse who came over and removed the restraints. Normani appreciated the ability to move her arms more than ever. "Thanks." "We're keeping you in another night, unless your family waiting outside believes you're in no danger as well as safe hands." "M-my family?" My mom's here?? "It's my family babe, don't worry." Lauren reassured her. Thank God. "Don't worry doc, she's safe with us. We'll take good care of her." Lauren said, turning to the doctor. "Very well then. We'll discharge Normani and get back to you both." Normani let her head fall back into the pillow when the doctor and nurse left the room and sighed. "Why'd you do it Mani?" Lauren asked, playing with the girl's fingers, refusing to meet her eyes. Normani bit her bottom lip nervously and sighed. "Everything was so..shit. Not you of course, I didn't want to hurt you." "Well you did hurt me, by trying to kill yourself. Did you really think that wouldn't affect me?" Normani swallowed the lump in her throat. "I'm sorry, I just meant..well, you know my condition right now isn't the best, and it's hard for you too. I didn't wanna stick around and make your life miserable." Lauren shook her head and cupped her face lovingly. "Now you listen to me Mani and you listen good. You're the best thing that ever happened to me, you make my life the best it ever has been. You have since we first met. You make life worth living, as long as I'm with you I'm the happiest I could ever be. So don't you ever think I'd be better off without you. Okay? And don't you ever try this shit again." Lauren said honestly. Normani felt tears come to her eyes and threw her arms around her girlfriend tightly. "I love you Lauren, I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry-" Normani sobbed. "Shh babygirl it's okay, you're okay and that's what matters." Lauren reassured as she rubbed her back. "D-Do you still love me?" Lauren raised her eyebrows. "What kind of question is that? Of course I do. I always will." Normani sighed with pure relief and buried her face in Lauren's neck. "When can we leave?" "Soon babe, as soon as they tell us." "Lauren?" "Yeah Mans?" "Can..can we get food on the way home?" Lauren smiled widely. "Whatever you want."