Chapter 77

It was cold, wet and windy, trust California to have a fucking storm when she and Camila had run away. Lauren went to several places. She was shivering and drenched and was about to give up for the day and try again tomorrow, but someone saw her and called her over. "Hello?" Lauren looked up, her teeth chattering uncontrollably. "M-me?" "Yes, you. You look freezing love, come inside my shop and warm up." The middle aged friendly man smiled. He had a beard and tattoos. Despite his badass and semi intimidating appearance, he was very nice. Lauren took off her clinging hoodie and allowed the man to wrap a blanket around her shoulders. "Would you like a cup of hot cocoa? I have some in the back, but since it's usually hot in Cali I never have any." Lauren smiled and nodded. "That would be lovely, thank you sir." "Please, call me Mike." Lauren gulped at the sound of her father's name. "R-right. Thank you..Mike." Mike joined her at the counter and took a seat beside her, placing two cups in front of them. One filled with hot cocoa, one with coffee. "So little lady, what are you doing out in that horrendous storm?" "Job hunting." Lauren said after a sip of the hot liquid. "Oh aye?" "Yeah, I uh, just moved here with my best friend." "That's nice. Where you two from?" "Florida." "Why'd you move?" Lauren looked down into her drink and chewed on her bottom lip. "It's complicated." "No problem kiddo. So, what do you think of my little hovel?" He teased. Lauren looked around and realised she was in a music store filled with vinyls, record players, cds, old style music. There were paintings and autographed pictures on the walls. "This place is awesome." Lauren grinned. "You like music?" "Yeah, I uh, I write lyrics and sing sometimes." "What's your name darlin'?" "It's Lauren." She held out her hand. "Nice to meet you Lauren." "You too Mike." "Listen. It gets pretty lonely in here, it's just me managing this store, how would you like to work here?" Lauren's mouth dropped and a wide grin painted her face. "Yeah?" "Yeah. You seem like good company and you're looking for a job right?" Lauren nodded. "Yeah, I'm super hardworking, I promise." "Since I like you, I'll say $5 an hour, working 7 hours a day?" "I-I don't even know what to say, well other than yes, obviously but, I just, wow. Thank you sir." "No problem Lauren. How'd you like to start Friday?" Lauren grinned and nodded eagerly. "Thank you so much Mike, you won't regret this." "I'm sure I won't little lady. I'm looking forward to working with you." "Likewise." Lauren said as she picked up her now dry hoodie and slipped it back on. "I need to get back to my best friend, I'll see you Friday sir." "Mike." He reminded. "Right, see you on Friday Mike." "Be here at 9." "I will, bright and early Mike. See you later." She headed towards the door before Mike stopped her and tapped her shoulder. "Lauren." "Yeah?" Mike handed the girl an umbrella and Lauren smiled gratefully. "Thank you." "Get home safe, here's my card if you need to contact me." Right. I need to get a new phone. Camila does too. "Uh thank you. I'll see you." She said, putting up the umbrella and getting underneath it, walking back to the hotel with a smile on her face. Job, done. Next, apartment hunting. The hotel door opened and she saw Camila eating a banana from a fruit bowl she had just noticed. "Hey Lauren." She said with her mouth full. "Camz, that's gross." "Sorry." Camila apologised, also with her mouth full. "Never mind. Guess what?" Camila swallowed her mouthful and replied. "What?" "I got a job!" "You did?" She asked in shock and happiness. "Yeah! In a music store, great pay, and the owner is so nice." "That's awesome." Camila said and watched as Lauren sat beside her on the bed and looked at her laptop. "Any luck with the course hunting?" "Actually yes, there's a cheap one here." "Awesome, get it." Camila clicked checkout and put her details in and smiled. "The course should come through in a few days." "Great, that's money and studying sorted." Lauren smiled. "Now we need to find somewhere to live." Camila said awkwardly. That would be the hardest part. "We'll look for somewhere to rent. If worst comes to worst we can get a single bed apartment, we've slept in the same bed countless times." Camila nodded in agreement to Lauren's words. "Anyway, let's go grab some food, I'm getting hungry." "It's pretty stormy out Laur, maybe in a little while." Camila said as she looked out the window. Lauren huffed and lay back in her bed. "Fuck it, I'm taking a nap." Camila simply nodded. "I'm gonna take a shower." "M'kay, don't use all the hot water. I doubt there's much." Lauren said as she started to head to the bathroom. Camila held a thumbs up just as she walked in. Lauren turned over on her side and hugged her stuffed Nala, falling asleep almost instantly. The next thing Lauren knew, Camila was waking her up with fresh clothes on and dried hair. "Can we get food now? The weather's better." Lauren yawned and sat up, simultaneously rubbing her eyes. "You shouldn't do that, it apparently messes with your eyesight." "Shut up Camila." She mumbled tiredly. "Give me a minute to freshen up, then we can get food." "Yay!" Camila clapped her hands excitedly." "I'm freakin' starving." "Hm." Lauren simply hummed in response as she trudged to the bathroom. "Lauren can I borrow a hoodie?" "Sure!" Lauren shouted back as she dried her face from washing it to wake her up. Lauren put one on herself and grabbed their key card. "Come on then, let's go grab some food." The Cuban-American chuckled. "Yay!" Camila grinned and followed her out. "Oh! We need phones too remember? Shall we get those while we're out?" Camila reminded Lauren. "Right, yeah, but let's eat first." "Obviously. Priorities." Camila said making Lauren chuckle and roll her eyes. "There's no one quite like you Mila." Camila smiled before it slowly dropped. "I wish Mani was here to eat with us." Lauren stopped in the middle of the hall at Camila's words. "You know? I wish she just ate." Camila sighed. "It wasn't her fault Camz..none of it was." "No I'm not saying it is..was, I just..miss her, I wish she was here too." Lauren nodded and brought Camila into a side hug. "Me too, we'd still be in Miami arguing over God knows what." Camila gave a soft smile and leant her head on her best friend's shoulder. "I'm never gonna lose you, am I Lauren?" Lauren frowned at the thought and looked over at the girl, placing a gentle kiss on Camila's forehead. "No." "Pinky promise?" Camila held out her pinky making Lauren sadly smile at the girl and link them. "Yes. I pinky promise."