Chapter 79

Lauren woke up to the sound of her alarm and sat up. "Camz wake up, we need to-oh..right." She mumbled sadly as she looked over to an empty, neatly made bed. Better get ready for work then. Her phone buzzed and she looked at the screen.

Camila: i'm sorry lolo

Camila: i haven't ratted you out though, and i promise i won't.

Lauren: okay, thanks.

Camila: sofi says hi

Lauren: hey.

Camila: i'll call you later?

Lauren: okay, but make sure no one knows it's me if they interrupt. For ONCE I BEG you to be a good, well, a decent liar.

Camila: you can count on me lauren

Lauren: yeah, i used to think i could.

Lauren switched off her phone and started to walk to work. The California weather was okay today, it was a little warm with no breeze, but not unbearable. Her thoughts roamed back to Camila. How could her own best friend say she could count on her after she just left her in the lurch like that? She knew what would happen with the consequences of running away. But what did she do? She chickened out. Lauren thought she had her back, that she was sticking with her. Camila said herself that she couldn't lose her other best friend, then she just upped and left her, like she meant nothing. Well, that's probably an exaggeration. You'd think that Camila would stand by Lauren after the horrific ordeal of Normani's death. Did it ever occur to her that she needed her? That Lauren needed someone too? Apparently not. "Ah, hey Lauren. Good morning." Is it? "Morning Mike." She muttered sadly as she clipped her badge on with her name on it. "Something wrong?" "It's complicated, I really don't wanna go into it." "Well if you need someone to listen, I'm here. But I won't push it." "Thanks." Lauren flashed a shy smile as she watched Mike open up the store. Immediately three teenagers came into the shop and browsed the shelves with various records and CDs. Lauren was stacking a shelf in the corner with more copies of the latest album by The 1975 when she was tapped on the shoulder. She sighed inwardly and turned around with a warm but fake smile. "How can I help you?" "I'm looking for my uncle Mike. Do you know where he is?" "Back room, I'll go get him for you, what's your name?" "Alexis, Alex or Lexi for short. I'm 14." Lauren cleared her throat awkwardly. She only asked her name, didn't need that much information. Lauren held a stack of CDs in her arms as she entered the back room. "Mike? There's a girl out there, says you're her uncle, her name's Alexis?" Mike looked up and smiled. "Alright I'm coming." "Uncle Mike!" "Lexi, corrr look how big you've gotten! You've grown loads since I saw you last kiddo." "Uncle Mike you saw me 2 weeks ago." "Exactly, that's a long time, especially when you're going through puber-" "Lalalalalala!" The girl covered her ears. She was not about to discuss puberty with her uncle. "So what brings you here?" "I got bored." While the two close (it seemed that way) relatives were talking, the other teens had left without buying anything. Typical. "Charming, couldn't be just to see your old Uncle." "Well that's a plus obviously." "Since you're so bored, why don't you help Lauren out over there?" "Will I get paid?" "Depends how much and well you do scoundrel." He ruffled her hair to which the girl slapped his hand away. "I'll be in the back if either one of you need me." "Yes sir." "Okay unc." Alexis smiled cheesily before going over to Lauren. "So your name is Lauren?" "Yes." "Nice eyes." "Thanks." "Pass some CDs, lemme give you a hand there." "Thank you." "I love this album." "Me too." "What's your favourite song off it?" Lauren sighed and widened her eyes with irritation. "You don't talk much." You talk too much. "I'm just not having a good day, I'm not always like this, really." "Well what happened?" "It's not kid stuff." "I'm not a kid!" "Look, please, I really don't want to start a fight Alexis. I need this job." Lauren sighed. "I can't take anything else going wrong." "Right. Sorry, I won't bother you." Lauren smiled slightly and got back to stacking CDs. "Lauren?" Lauren screamed internally. "Yes, Alexis? What is it?" "I may be younger than you, but I'm a good listener, and I can keep secrets." Lauren gave a small genuine smile. "Thanks Alexis." "Call me Alex, I don't really like people using my full name. Even my Mom only does it when I'm in trouble." "Yeah, I know that feeling." Lauren chuckled before her smile dropped. At least I used to. "Hey Alex?" "Yeah?" Alex's brown eyes looked up at Lauren with such joy that it made her miss her own ten times as much. If Camila was here, it'd make things whole lot easier. But she wasn't. She abandoned her. She was alone. "Can you go to the back room and grab the next box labelled T1975, Records for me?" "Sure!" The girl smiled brightly. "There were two, Uncle Mike says there was another shipment this morning. He's bringing the other one out." "Here we are, I found another one in the back with various posters that need rolling up and put in plastic. Think you can manage that?" "Yes boss." The man nodded once with a smile and retreated to the back room. This is gonna be a loooong day.