Chapter 71

"So it seems that she suffered a heart attack in her sleep, which isn't surprising in anorexics." The doctor said. Lauren sighed and let tears build up. "It's all my fault." Camila frowned, looking at Lauren. "Why would it be your fault?" "I should never have let her come home, I should have taken her back." "Lauren, it's not your fault honey. Don't blame yourself." "Your father's right, she was very sick." Clara agreed. "If you'd like to see the body-" "She's not a body!" Lauren shouted. "She's a person!!..she was a person." Camila pulled Lauren into her side and soothed her. "I should never have broken up with her, that'll be what did it." "She had a weak heart Lauren." Chris reminded her. "Yeah Lolo..she was dying the second she got the eating disorders." There was a short silence after Camila's words. "So who'd like to say their goodbyes?" Lauren wiped her eyes and looked at Camila. "You go first Laur, she was in love with you." Camila said, stroking her arm reassuringly. "Will you come with me?" "Of course." Camila nodded. Lauren and Camila walked to the room's door and took a deep breath each. "Are you ready?" Lauren asked quietly. "No." Camila squeaked. They found each other's hands and squeezed them tight. "I'm scared." Camila whispered. Lauren gulped and nodded. "Me too." "On 3?" Lauren mumbled, Camila nodding as she spoke. "1," "2," Camila sighed. "Three." "Three." They said together and Camila grabbed the handle and opened the door. Camila's hands cupped her mouth as she saw her best friend lifeless on a cold metal table, sheets up to her neck so only her head was visible. Lauren's hand shook as she reached out and stroked Normani's cold cheek gently. "I'm so fucking sorry Mani..I let you down." Lauren sniffed. "You were so happy when we first met each other." Lauren smiled sadly as her chin wobbled, turning to Camila. "Do you remember Camz?" Camila let out a small sob and nodded. "Like it was yesterday." "You started school a week later than us, it was your first day, and typical you, you got yourself lost." Lauren chuckled. "You came up to us and tapped my shoulder, and I was eating a banana at the time so my mouth was really freakin' full when you did." Camila said brokenheartedly. "You were so confident, I was always jealous of that." Camila admitted. "Anyway, you asked us for directions and that, was it biology?" "Some kind of science." Camila shrugged, wiping her eyes. "That science class was cancelled because the teacher got sick." Lauren took in a shaky breath. "We asked you to sit down," "it was the best decision we ever made." Camila finished Lauren's words. "I remember you stole my fruit snacks the next day though, I was so mad." Lauren chuckled. "Oh yeah! You legit wanted to fight her, I remember that!" Camila laughed. Lauren nodded and threw her head back. "God knows I wish I could have done something, anything to take your pain away. I would have taken it all in your place if I could have." "We both would have." Camila said, taking Normani's hand as it laid on the outside of the sheets. "I'll miss you babygirl." Lauren wiped her eyes as the tears began to emerge. "Sleep well gorgeous." She kissed her forehead and let out a sob as she retreated. "I hope you're happy up there Manibear. Say 'hey' to your father for us, yeah?" Camila smiled slightly. "Dance to your heart's content, you were already the best of the best. You just didn't know it." Lauren listened to Camila. "I wish I hadn't been so oblivious. I really, really do. I wish I hadn't been such a bitch, with Austin, and Lauren," Camila turned to look at her best friend, referring to when she was such an asshole to her she'd cut her mean words into her arms. "I'm sorry Lo." Lauren shook her head, as if to say, 'it's not important, it's forgotten.' "Maybe if I looked closer, noticed something to give it away, I would have caught it sooner, I could have helped you before it went too far-me and Lauren. We would have been there for you. You just needed to talk to us-why the hell didn't you talk to us?" Camila screamed in turmoil. Lauren rushed forward and caught Camila before she hit the floor as her legs crumbled beneath her. Lauren stroked Camila's hair and shushed her, rocking her in her arms as she cried desperately for her best friend. Lauren took a deep breath and exhaled, looking up at their best friend. "Bye Mani..we love you. We always said to death..but God knows we'll love you beyond." Camila cried into Lauren's chest as the medical examiner came in and pulled the sheet over her face. Lauren couldn't watch. The girls both lowered their heads and shut their eyes tightly. Lauren turned them both around and lifted Camila to her feet, leading them out of the room and to the uncomfortable hospital seats in the waiting room. "Here Laur, take the car and go home, you both should get some rest." Lauren nodded and took the keys from her father. "Thanks Papi." She whispered softly. "Is she fit to drive Dad?" Taylor asked. "I'll be fine Tay, I can get us home. It's not far." Lauren reassured her younger sister. "C'mon Camz." Camila took Lauren's outstretched hand and went with her to the car back. Leaving their best friend behind for the last time.