Chapter 76

"So what now?" Camila asked as she wheeled her suitcase through the busy airport they had just landed in. She was buried in one of Lauren's hoodies she had temporarily leant her. The Cubans were both in hoodies so they weren't spotted as missing people. Just in case they had been reported to the police yet. "We need to find a hotel and figure out what to do next." Lauren said, holding back a yawn. "I think we should choose somewhere farther out, so it's not the closest one. That's too suspicious right?" Camila spoke. "You're getting better at this Cabello." Lauren teased. "Why thank you." Camila lifted her chin proudly. "You're welcome." "Hold on though Lo, shouldn't we find out where we are first?" "We'll just ask someone at the hotel reception desk. Whatever you do, don't turn on your location. In fact, we should get new phones and sims, we can't be traced if we don't want to be found." "Uh, don't you think maybe we're talking this a little far?" Camila asked hesitantly. "No, Camz I'm not saying we can't insert our old numbers and shit. I'm just saying if we're gonna run away, we need to do it properly." "You're right." "I know I'm right. Now come on, let's get a taxi." "Where to ladies?" Camila and Lauren looked at each other. "What's a reasonably priced hotel a little way out from here?" Camila asked. "Uh, well The Stonebridge Hotel is pretty good from what I hear." Lauren nodded. "Then we'd like to go there." "No problem. So what are you two young ladies doing out here in Cali?" "Uh, we're just," Camila hesitated, thinking of an excuse. "We're visiting family." Lauren helped her best friend out. "Ah lovely, well it's gonna get darker soon, good luck girls. Here's the hotel, have a nice time with your family." Lauren gave an appreciative smile and paid the friendly man. "Thanks so much." Camila also thanked the man while she hauled out her luggage. "Bye sir." Lauren said before she shut the door and sighed with relief. "Well Camila, it looks like we're staying in California." Camila smiled. "I can think of worse places." "Let's go inside and get some rest, we'll plan things out tomorrow." The two girls found a room and put their stuff next to their beds. "What time is it?" Lauren looked at the clock and groaned. "Like 1am." Camila collapsed on her bed and huffed. "I'm going to sleep, screw that." Lauren smirked. "I'm gonna go brush my teeth then I'll be back. Aren't you gonna do your-" Lauren looked at Camila to see she was sound asleep and gave a small smile. She went over and kissed the girl's forehead, pulling the covers over her properly. "Night Camzi." Lauren didn't think she would, but she fell asleep almost instantly. She was probably exhausted from the stress and the journey. Somewhere in the night though, Lauren was woken up by someone cuddling into her side. "Mm what?" She mumble as she turned her head slightly. "Camz?" "Hm?" "Are you okay? What are you doing in my bed?" Camila nuzzled her face into Lauren's neck and sighed shakily. "Camila what's wrong?" "I had a dream about Mani..a-and then I woke up, and I remembered she-that she's-" Lauren turned over and wrapped her arms around her best friend, kissing the top of her head. "It's okay, I've got you." "I want her here Lolo." Lauren sighed and rested her chin on top of Camila's head. "Me too." Camila's let out a soft whimper and Lauren knew she was crying. "Shh, it's okay, I'm here." "I m-miss h-her." Camila's stuttered. "I know, I've got you mama. You're okay." Camila clutched Lauren's oversized t-shirt and cried into her neck. "Camz, do you wanna go home?" Lauren asked tentatively. She wasn't going back herself, but she wondered if Camila did. She couldn't help the thought. "No! No I don't. I wanna stay here with you. I don't want to go back to Florida." Lauren nodded slightly and scratched the back of Camila's neck ever so lightly with her nails. "Okay, I had to ask. You just seem so upset-" "I don't want my family Lo I want you. I need you. I want to stay." "Okay, it's okay, you don't have to go anywhere babe, and I'm staying here. I'm not going anywhere without you Camz, I promise." Lauren said as she pulled the girl closer. Camila took a deep calming breath and nodded. "Can I stay here tonight?" Lauren smiled sadly and closed her eyes. "Of course you can." "Thank you." Camila mumbled into her skin. "Goodnight Camila." "G'night Lauren." The next morning, Camila woke up in Lauren's bed alone, and she couldn't see her in the room. "Lauren?" She called out tiredly. "Bathroom! Two seconds!" Lauren emerged about a minute later and smiled. "Hey sleepyhead." "Hi, what time is it?" Camila asked as she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. "Midday, I didn't wanna wake you." "How long have you been awake? And what's that stuff on my bed?" "Since like 9, and I was planning some stuff out. Like jobs and apartments, cause we can't live in a hotel." "Zach and Cody did." Camila shrugged. "That was a TV show Camila." Lauren chuckled. "That was pretty funny though. Anyway," she clapped her hands and sat down on Camila's bed. "Come help me, it's gonna be hard getting a job. Considering we got kicked out of school." "Well we both have our GCSE's, even if we couldn't get our A-Levels. People get jobs with that." Camila said as she walked over to her bed. "Hm, maybe one of us can find work and the other studies?" Lauren suggested. "Okay, who's gonna study?" Camila asked. Lauren thought for a moment. "Uh, I mean, you sleep in more. So maybe I should get the job." "Okay, so that means I study." "Yeah, but it's gotta be online. No colleges or anything, or people can trace us." "Good point. Maybe Psychology? I've always been interested in that..and.." Camila hesitated. "And what Camz?" "Maybe I can get some understanding about why Normani was doing what she did." Lauren nodded slightly. "Hm, when you learn that shit, lemme know." Camila nodded. "But the course will be expensive Lo." "We'll find it cheap somewhere. You can look into it today." "Shoot I didn't bring my laptop." Camila groaned. "I was in a rush." "It's cool. You can borrow mine, you know the password. In the mean time, I'll go out job hunting." "Okay." "Will you be alright alone today?" "Yeah, I'll be fine." "They supplied us with cereal over there. Don't order room service okay?" Camila nodded in understanding. "I bought us some food in the airport yesterday, I put it in the fridge and on that desk. I'll come back for you and we'll eat out later." "Okay Lauren." "Okay, I love you mama, I'll be back soon." "Wait Lauren what about our phones?" "Fuck, uh, just trust me to come back. I'll be safe I promise." Camila held out her pinky and Lauren intertwined them confidently. "Please be careful Lauren. This is a whole new place." "Don't worry, I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself." Lauren smiled and kissed the younger girl's head. "Good luck Camz." "You too Lo." She smiled nervously and watched her best friend leave the room. This runaway thing was going to be harder than she thought.