Chapter 29

"Should I get someone?" "No Chris I just really need to wear her out so she sleeps. Do we have anything?" Chris and Lauren were home alone, just how they liked it. They were the closest of the three siblings, and basically all the family. "Remember that pill from when Dad got his wisdom teeth out that knocks you out? We have a box of those in the kitchen cupboard, will that do?" "Yeah that's perfect, go get it." Chris did as he was told and raced back upstairs. "Great, hand it over." "Are you sure this legal?" "If it isn't then Dad shouldn't have kept them, it'll be his fault, we're only minors, we didn't know shit etc etc now give me the pills." Lauren instructed, holding out her hand. Chris sighed and popped one out into her palm. "Are you positive about this?" "It's just a sleeping pill Chris, chill out. Or do you need one too?" Lauren smirked as she grabbed the bottle of water she had nearby. "Ha ha," Chris deadpanned. "you're hilarious." "Thank you. Mani?" Normani looked up at the green eyed girl miserably "Take this honey it'll help." "It'll make them go away?" She croaked. Lauren's heart broke, she looked up at Chris who looked just as concerned. "Yes." For now at least. Normani couldn't have taken the pill fast enough, it was gone in a second. "They're s-still h-here." Normani whimpered. "I know baby but you'll get tired in a minute, or more tired.." Normani looked exhausted, and all of the crying, shouting and screaming must have been tiring for her. "It's a sleeping pill, but it's a heavy one." Lauren smiled sadly, stroking the hair out of Normani's face for her. "You gettin' sleepy?" Lauren asked in a gentle voice when Normani's eyes started to droop. Normani nodded lazily. "Are they stopping now?" Normani nodded again and laid her head against Lauren's chest. "Okay. Good girl. Get some rest." Lauren mumbled against her forehead, kissing it softly. "Thank you so much." Lauren said to her little brother with immense gratitude. "Sure..what's wrong with her?" Lauren picked the girl up and went over to the bed. "Can you.." Chris moved the duvet out of the way and fluffed the pillows so Lauren could put Normani into bed and tuck her in to get some sleep. "So?" Chris asked her, referring to his question once Lauren had finished. "Uh.." "Laur you can't just expect me not to ask. Is she sick?" "Yes." "What with?" Lauren shrugged. "I know she's anorexic, but I'm wondering after that display if something else is going on too." Chris opened his arms and wrapped them around his sister securely. "Are you okay?" Lauren sighed and closed her eyes. "I'm tired, it's so hard looking after her, making sure she's not basically killing herself." She mumbled into her little yet taller brother's chest. "She'll be okay y'know, everything'll work out." Chris reassured his older sister. "I hope you're right." Lauren half smiled for a second. "I should get back to her." Lauren went to go back upstairs but Chris tugged on her arm and pulled her back. "She's gonna be out for a few hours at least. Why don't you stay down here and chill with me for a while? You need to relax a little. You have a life other than taking care of your friend, Laur." Lauren looked up into his caring eyes and smiled. "When did you get so smart?" Chris flipped his short hair and smirked. "You guys just never saw it, I've always been the brains of the family. Under appreciated to the max, overshadowed by the older sis." Lauren frowned. "You don't really believe that do you?" "No Lo I'm kidding." He ruffled her hair until she giggled and swatted his hand away. "There's the smile I wanted to see. Come on, let's watch some TV. Anything you want." Lauren kissed his cheek and took a deep breath looking at him. "I'm really proud of you Chris. Always." She reminded him. "Thanks." He beamed. He turned on the TV and sunk into the comfy couch before patting the seat next to him for Lauren to join him. Lauren smiled and cuddled into his side, turning SpongeBob on. "Oh cool I'm down for this, glad you didn't pick anything too girly." He teased. "You used to be obsessed with Barbie as a little kid you know." Lauren laughed. "Seriously?" "Mhm. You loved it. It was so funny watching Dad go to Target and pick up all these Barbie accessories. Cause when people asked who the Christmas presents were for he had to say, "my six year old son." It was hilarious." Lauren laughed. "Oh my god." He blushed furiously. "Aw but it was kinda cute though. It was never really my thing but I used to play with you." "I don't believe it. I, out of my two sisters liked the fucking Barbie dolls." "Hey! Language." "You sound like Mom." He complained. "You had the cutest little smile when you played with them though." "Okay stop it now, you're creeping me out." Chris shuddered. "You like being creeped out." "In like TV shows and movies, not like that." He huffed. "Okay, after this episode we can watch American Horror Story." "Sounds like a plan." Chris nodded with a smile. "D'you think she's okay up there?" Lauren asked hesitantly. "Yes. I'm sure she's sleeping away cuddling one of your little toys, probably that Nala one." "She better not be, Nala's mine." "Where did you actually get Nala?" Chris asked curiously. "Oh, Dad gave her to me for me 11th birthday. Best birthday present I've ever gotten." "Really? Your seventeen now, haven't your rankings changed?" Chris asked with a smirk. "I love my Nala. She's special to me." Lauren hit the younger boy with a pillow when he started laughing at her. "Shut up!" She whined. "And to think we were just having a moment." "We are, I'm sorry." Chris pulled his sister into a side hug and kissed her temple. "I love you Lauren, I don't think I really say that a lot, but I do." Lauren smiled up at him and laid her head on his chest. "I love you too little brother." "Thanks." "...even if you do like Barbies." "You just crossed the line!" He stood up and Lauren cackled with laughter as he chased her around the room. "Admit it!" She yelled. "Never!" He replied as he tried to cut her off. Lauren looked around and couldn't see her brother, then suddenly screamed when she was tackled to the floor on her back. "GOT YA!" Lauren pouted before she started laughing. "Okay, I'm sorry." "Good, because that really hurt." He said rubbing his neck. "Well if it's any consolation to you, you just slammed my back down onto the floor so it wasn't exactly painless for me either." Lauren said. "American Horror Story?" He suggested, brushing himself off. "Actually I think I'm gonna lie down, thank you though. I feel a lot better." "Anytime sis." He held her cheeks and kissed her forehead, making her smile. "I'm going to Tyler's, if you need anything just gimme a call." "Okay, laters. Have fun!" She called as he left the house and she went upstairs. She carefully opened her bedroom door but as Chris predicted, Normani was out for the count. Lauren crawled over her and lifted the duvet up so she could slip down underneath and cuddle up to her friend. She nestled her face in the crook of Normani's neck and sighed contentedly, falling asleep.