Chapter 3

Normani trudged home with a dance bag on her shoulder and a McDonalds takeaway in her hand. That was the one thing she was looking forward to, apart from her bed of course. If she didn't get some food in her system and some very much needed sleep, she didn't know if she would be able to go anywhere, let alone to school the next day. "Good day sweetie?" Normani shot a death glare to her mother. "Is that supposed to be funny?" Normani didn't stick around, she went upstairs with her food while her mother raised her eyebrows in none other than surprise and looked at her husband. "What did I say?" Derrick shrugged and turned the page over in his newspaper. "Who knows love." The dark skinned girl sat down on her bed with a happy sigh, her legs feeling the immediate relief. She was surprised they hadn't buckled by this point. She opened the brown bag and delved into her food happily, but then she ended up eating so fast she threw up for the second time that day. Only this time it was unintentional. Then, without any kind of warning her father came in and caught sight of his daughter emerging from the bathroom. "What was that sound?" "I've just been sick Dad." She mumbled, wiping around her mouth after having rinsed it out after brushing her teeth. "What's that?" Normani's eyes went to where he was looking, which was at the meal and empty bag from McDonalds she had left on her bed while she threw up. "Uh, KFC?" She joked uneasily. "McDonald's. You've been eating McDonald's? Normani I told you to watch your diet for the show!" "Yes I know but-" "No excuses Normani." "No Dad I haven't eaten a single thing all day!" Normani shouted. "But you just put so much unnecessary fat into your body. Why couldn't you have gotten something healthy, like an egg and cress sandwich on rye?" "Oh fine, I'll alert the chef shall I?" She fought back. "Don't talk to me like that. I'm not the one purposely eating high calorie meals before a big dance show." "What does it even matter? If I threw it back up then it's gone isn't it." She spat back. "Out of my body, now why don't you get out of my fucking room!" She pushed her father out and slammed the door shut. Sliding down the door to her knees with her head in her hands. Her phone rang in her pocket but she threw it across the room in frustration. By a miracle it continued to ring, so Normani looked at the phone face down on the floor and sighed. She can't sit in front of the door forever with her head in her hands. "What?" She sighed into the phone. "Oh-I can call you later if you want.." Lauren. "No, it's..it's fine. You okay?" "I was just about to ask you that, are you okay?" Normani paused on the end of the phone. "Mani?" The girl took a deep breath before looking out the window. "Is it too late for you to come over?" "Of course not babe. I'll be there soon okay?" Normani whispered a thank you before she hung up, but she wasn't sure her words were audible. There was a knock at the door but she was too tired to get it herself. "Lauren, hi lovely." "Hi Mrs Hamilton, can I see Normani please?" "Sure honey, she's in her room upstairs." "Actually Lauren she's resting, maybe you should come back tomorrow afternoon." Her father said quickly. "Actually sir, with all due respect, Normani asked me to come. So I'd like to see she's okay." "And that's fine honey, you can go on up." Andrea said, staring at her husband. Lauren looked at the two, puzzled, before going upstairs to her friend's room. Lauren knocked on the door and entered, seeing Normani slumped against the wall with her head in her knees. "What happened?" Lauren asked her gently, but still surprised. Normani let out a quiet whimper and then practically fell into the side of Lauren's body. Lauren wrapped her arms around her and pulled her close. "C'mere, it's okay." She whispered, kissing her forehead affectionately. "You're tired, that's why you're upset." Normani sighed heavily. Yeah, that works. "Hey, what's going on with your parents?" "What do you mean?" Normani mumbled. "I don't know, they were acting kinda weird. Your dad especially, he didn't want me to see you." Normani sighed. Great, now he's trying to isolate me from my friends too? "I don't know, I don't care." Lauren rested her head on Normani's. "Would you like me to stay the night?" Normani weakly smiled up at the girl. "Yes please." Normani, was very independent, but every once in a while she could really use someone. This being a once in a while time. "You look even more tired than earlier, Camila said the nurse sent you home to get bedrest. Why do you look even worse now?" "Gee, you really know how to charm a girl." Normani deadpanned. "Sorry, but seriously." "Couldn't sleep." She said vaguely. "Well, get some sleep now." Normani watched Lauren move the McDonalds packaging and put it in the bin, then make the bed for her. "Come on," Lauren held her hand out and Normani smiled slightly and took it. She crawled into bed and frowned in confusion when she saw Lauren started looking for something. "What are you doing?" "Uh, looking for your sleeping bag?" "Don't be stupid, get in my bed." "Take me on a date first." Normani rolled her eyes and Lauren got in her bed, laying next to her on her back. Normani scooted closer to Lauren and laid her arm over her stomach and her head on her chest. Lauren wrapped her arms around the girl and closed her eyes. "Goodnight." But Normani was already fast asleep. Normani woke up to an empty bed, where was Lauren? She couldn't have dreamt it surely, all the McDonald's packaging was in the bin where she left it, if that was anything to go on. She checked her phone and saw a message from Lauren.

Lauren Jauregui Best Friend In The World: Don't be mad, but I kinda told your mom to let you sleep today. She agreed you seemed tired so she's keeping you off for the day. I didn't wanna wake you, so I just left for school. Love you loads, I'll drop in later x
Normani: i'm not mad, thank you. love you more, guess i'll see you later x

Mila🍌: hii, lauren told me you were staying off today cause you were too tired. miss you, love u. sleep welllll💋
Normani: miss and love you too, thank you mila💕 ooh! can you tell lo to bring me any work i need to catch up on, thanks
Mila🍌: lauren said okay, she'll grab it before she comes over. can i come too? we made up now, so no fights, we promise.
Normani: sure boo. come at like 6?
Mila🍌: okie doke! see you then :)

Normani put her phone down and sat up, stretching out before widening her eyes and checking the time again. 1pm?! No way she had slept in that long. "Feeling better?" Her father asked, Normani shrugged. She had a feeling where this was going. "Your mother's gone out, so pack your bag." "School?" "No, studio. There's no point going back to school." "But Dad I'm so tired." "Not too tired for visitors though. 3 hours, that's all I ask." "But 3 hours is a long time." Normani argued. "Do you care about dancing?" "You know I do." Normani said fiercely. "So act like it. Get your things together. I'll drive you." "Dad what about breakfast?" She was tossed half a cereal bar. "Half?!" she shouted out since he was going downstairs. "New diet!" He called back. Normani groaned and fell back into her mattress. How many days till Friday again?