Chapter 70

Something felt off that night, Lauren didn't know what it was though. Normani was next to her, sleeping, the rise and fall of her protruding chest slow, but present. "Psst," Lauren got out of bed and opened the door. "Taylor? What is it? Are you drunk?" Taylor giggled and held her finger to her lips. "What the fuck? Come with me." Lauren looked back to check on Normani before shutting the door behind Taylor and herself and taking the intoxicated minor downstairs. "I feel siiiick." She whined. "I'm not surprised Taylor, you look way out of it. How much did you drink?" Lauren exclaimed as she sat her down on the couch and went to get her some water. Taylor sloppily shrugged and slumped into the couch. "Where did you get the alcohol?" "Chloe had some." "Right, and do you always take alcohol from Chloe?" "No." Taylor replied as she took the water and tried to gulp it down. "Not too fast Taylor, take slow sips." Taylor listened to her older sister and watched her grab a bucket in case she was sick and sat next to her. "Did you go out?" "There was a partyyyy." "And did Mom or Dad know about it?" "No..but they wouldn't have let me go!" "Of course not Taylor! You're too young for those kind of parties!" Lauren exclaimed in a hushed tone. "Please don't tell Lolo." Taylor begged as she started to sober up, after throwing up that is. "I won't tell on you, but don't do this again till you're older, okay? Or at least under supervision." Taylor nodded and groaned, leaning her head on her sister's lap. "I love you Lauren." "Yeah yeah, just keep sipping that water kiddo." The room felt, strange, when Lauren woke up. She turned over to look at Normani and smiled. "Morning sleepyhead." Lauren frowned when there was no response. "Mani?" Nothing. "Normani this isn't funny, c'mon." Lauren reached out to shake the girl but she was cold to the touch. "Mani!!" Lauren felt for a pulse and there wasn't one. Lauren couldn't help it, she screamed. "Shut it Lauren!" She heard her hungover sister call out. "What's wrong??" Her mother and father shot in. "S-she's not b-breathing mami!" "Oh my Lord!" Lauren started CPR and felt tears falling down her cheeks. "Come on baby, come on." Lauren cried as she continued chest compressions. "Please don't leave me." She sobbed. Everyone in the house gathered in the room and watched heartbrokenly, even the dog came and whined. "Lauren," Chris said gently. "Please Mani, please." Lauren sobbed, carrying on. Her mother approached her daughter and her friend gently and took her shoulders. "She's gone Lauren." "No! No she is not gone. She's just-" "I'm sorry baby." Mike said as he helped his wife. Lauren leant back and covered her mouth in shock. "No, Mani.." she sobbed in her mother's hold as she lifted her off of the girl and pulled her into her lap. "I'll go and call an ambulance." Chris said awkwardly. "I'll go with him." Taylor said and followed her brother out. The paramedics came and took Normani's body away, Lauren watching numbly, tears falling down her cheeks. Camila ran up the driveway and into Lauren's arms. "Is it true? Tell me it's not true." Lauren took a deep shaky breath in and nodded. "Yes." Camila let out a shaky cry and clung desperately onto Lauren, who hesitantly wrapped her arms around her best friend's waist. None of this felt real. "You can come up to the hospital if you want, we can find out the cause of death, and you can all say your goodbyes." A paramedic said to the group of heartbroken people. "Thank you." Clara said and watched the ambulance take away the girl they all loved. "We should go." Chris said but Mike held up his hand and shook his head. "We'll meet you girls up there." He said to his daughter and Camila. "Take your time." Clara said gently, leading the family to the car. "Tell me this is a dream." Camila whispered. "I wish I could Camzi." Lauren breathed, holding her a little tighter. "God I wish I could."