Chapter 89: Muffled screams. (Part 2)

(A/n: Hey, before you read this chapter, check out @PurpleRainTail and her L x reader story

"People had started realizing that  these series of deaths could not just be coincidences. They thought that maybe there was someone behind all this." She chuckled. "Just like that Kira guy you've been tracking down. Anyways, the cops hated us and wanted to arrest us at all price."

(Hailin's p.o.v, Flashback.)

I laid on my bed, sighing heavily. I stared at the ceiling, a question stuck in my mind. "Hey, Y/d/n, what do you think will ever happen to us if we are ever caught? What would they do to us as punishment? Torture? Imprison for life?"  I rolled to the side to look at his figure sitting on the chair in front of my desk in his black suit, writing names and watching the news at the same time. 

"Kill us?" I heard him laugh. "That's stupid. How would all of this ever come back to us. As far as we are concerned, we are only two simple persons that work for the government because we love our country and its people and would do anything to protect  them." He said with assurance and looked at me with a smile. It really creeped me out and I dared not answering. Had he lost his mind? I gulped down a big lump of  saliva. Why would act so weird? Could it be...that he thinks my house is bugged. This made me turn angry. "Do you think my house is bugged?! Like I wouldn't have known!" He continued writing names, as if he hadn't heard a single word I said. I angrily laid back down on my back, crossing my arms.

 "You know, if my house was bugged, I would have been the one installing the cameras." 

I heard the ongoing sound of a pencil rubbing against paper. It was suddenly interrupted by a grinding sound coming from the door. Both of our heads turned to look at the entrance to my room.

 There stood my little brother's friend. She had both of her hands hidden behind her arms, holding a poker face. I sighed in relief, waving at her with a smile. She waved back and then showed me the doll she was holding in her hands. "Do you want to play with us, Hailin?" "Of course, sweetheart! Just wait in the living room with Alex, I'll be coming soon enough." She nodded vigorously and ran back downstairs. I sighed in relief. "Thank goodness, its only her. God knows what kind of trouble we would be in if there was a person mature enough to understand what we were talking about behind this door." There was no response. I looked at him "Right, Y/d/n?" It took him seconds-no minutes to snap out of his own world. "Huh? Oh! Yeah, right... We are lucky."

(End of Flashback.)

"I should have known something was off since that day. Your dad started go home earlier from work or even not be present at all. When he was present, he seemed not being able to concentrate. He'd make excuses up, saying it was because your mom and him were having fights but I knew he was lying. I just did not think the true reason to his unusual behavior could be this alarming. 

(Flashback.)

My phone buzzed. I had got a call from Y/d/n. I was glad; I hadn't heard of him for 2 weeks. However, my happiness soon transformed into worry when I replied. It said "I fucked up real bad. Come at my place RIGHT NOW." 'Oh no, what has he done, now. I hope he didn't reveal our secret to anyone. "Okay, calm down. Take a deep breath." I whispered so that no one at work could hear me. From the other end of the line, I heard a deep inhale. "Good. Very good. Now, tell me slowly and clearly what happened." He gasped. "Hailin, I fucked up, I fucked up, I fucked up, I fucked up, I fucked up..." He kept on going. I hung up and quickly packed up my things.

(Time skip to arrival at Y/d/n.)

I banged on the door. "OPEN THE DOOR, Y/D/N IT'S HAILIN."  I screamed. When he finally opened the door, I quickly let myself in. "What happened? What did you do this time? You better not have screwed everything up and tell someone about the death note." He stayed silent. I gripped his shoulders tightly, looking him straight in the eyes. "Don't just keep quiet like this, for fuck's sake, tell me what's wrong!" He gripped tightly on his hair and sat down on his knees. He breathed shakily. It creeped me out to see him like this. For five good minutes, he remained in this position. Then he suddenly got up, wearing a nervous smile. "Nothing is wrong. Sorry for bothering you." He put his hands on my back and gently pushed me to the exit. "Thank you for coming by, though." He said opening the door with his other hand. I was bewildered. "Wh-What? Then why did you sound so nervous, back then?! No, there is definitely something wrong." I said getting out of his grip. He made that face he used to do when he did not have control other things.

 "Oh, uh nothing. I..." He came closer to me, so close I could feel his hot breath. "...I was just stunned by how beautiful you were. It made me start acting weird." I was feeling the urge to push him away and was gonna do it until I heard a muffled voice. It sounded like a scream from a kid. This definitely came from inside this house. 'Who was it? Y/n? Beyond?And if it were one of them, why would they scream. They are good kids. And more importantly, why would it be muffled?' Questions kept running through my head. But there was at least one thing I knew. I had to stay and find out what was going on in this house.

(A/n: OK so I know I said you would get this chapter pretty soon but I wanted to make it longer so that's why I was late. Anyways, Happy new year! 

Song is Karma Police by Radiohead.)