✗ twenty-six ✗

Start from the beginning

So kiss me where I lay down. My hands pressed to your cheeks. A long way from the playground.

Written in these walls are the stories that I can't explain. I leave my heart open but it stays right here empty for days.

Feels like I'm constantly playing, a game that I'm destined to lose.

Escape from the city and follow the sun. 'Cause I wanna be yours, don't you wanna be mine?

"Those are good, Harry, now why can't you write like that now?" I find myself grumbling out loud.

I shut the binder and stand back up, my inspiration slowly starting to wither down into thin air. I know if I don't take a break now I'll never get anywhere. Honestly I've never been in this position before. I've never been so writers' blocked. Lyrics and melodies are always swimming around in my head, but now there's nothing but drama and work concerns up there, weighing me down.

"I thought I'd find you down here."

I nearly jump sky high hearing someone other than myself speak. I spin around to see Shay, leaning against the doorframe. She's stolen one of my cozy jumpers that comes to about her mid-thigh, as well as black leggings and some fuzzy socks. She looks exhausted; the dark circles under her eyes can be seen for miles.

"Hey, yeah," I say, pushing the binder the rest of the way into the shelf to insure that it doesn't end up on the floor, "how are you doing?" Shay shrugs and pushes herself from the doorframe, taking a seat in the chair I was just sat in. She looks drained, physically and mentally. I don't know when the last time she had a good nights sleep was.

Last night I felt her toss and turn, moaning something in her sleep. I can only imagine what the nightmare had entailed. I found myself waking her at three in the morning when I couldn't stand the sight of her suffering any longer. As soon as her eyes met mine she brushed it off saying she didn't want to talk about it, that it was nothing to concern me with. All she wanted was to wee and then curl up back in my arms and try to sleep. I hate seeing her this way.

"I'm fine. I've just been watching a bit of TV and trying to get some work done." I frown at her response. The last thing she should be doing is working. "Actually just received an email from Louis," My brows raise, suddenly interested in what my mate could have possibly sent Shay. For all I know it could be an embarrassing photograph of me from sixth form, "about a banquet he's holding in a couple of weeks for the Happy Children Foundation. Apparently the co-founder needs to be in attendance and make a speech." She raises her brows at me and smirks. "Have you decided to become a philanthropist in your great time off of work?" Shay jokes.

She knows my schedule better than anyone, which is exactly why she knows that I have literally no time off.

"I haven't told you about the foundation?" She shakes her head and shrugs.

I hum in response, remembering back to last year's banquet. It was pretty laid back and Louis always hosts. His mum, my mum, and he are always in charge of everything. I simply make a large donation, give a speech, and promise that in the next year I'll try and be more involved. As much as I want to be more involved, I just don't have the time.

"Tell me more about it."

"Well, Louis and I were having lunch one afternoon and this mother came in with her child. The boy was clearly very ill, but had a smile on his face. The mother was clearly putting on a happy face for the boy and she was very optimistic. We actually joined them after we had finished and it turns out the boy had a terminal illness and only had a few more weeks to live." Shay gasps and I watch as her hand instinctively comes to rest on her stomach. Way to go. "That night we got the idea. The foundation is for children with terminal illnesses or just very sick kids. We raise money for medical expenses and other expenses the families may run into."