✗ twenty-three ✗

Start from the beginning

"Who was that?" Harry asks, slipping his phone from the clutches of my hand as he pulls over beside the curb. I glare over at him, my jaw set in anger and tears welling. I shake my head at him as two tears streak down from my eyes. "What? What's wrong?" I exhale deeply and roll my eyes, throwing the door open as I unbuckle the belt holding me securely.

I storm, with purpose, to the door of Harry's house, only to find it locked and the only key between the two of us in Harry's hands. He's calling my name from behind me, his voice growing closer in distance as I rest my fist against the door.

I don't know why I'm so mad, but I can't help it. First he tells Louis, which I don't really mind because it's his best friend and I know he won't tell anyone. But he tells someone else, someone I've never met and that person has been working on something pertaining to the ongoing investigation into what happened that night. I believe I have a right to fume after he's kept it from me for two months.

"Shay, what's wrong?" Harry questions, taking my arm in his large hand. I shrug the appendage off me and point to the door, angry tears streaming down my cheeks.

"Just open the door." I order, my voice low and almost a growl.

He told somebody. He's been keeping something from me this entire time. He's been lying to me, to my face, for two whole months. 8 weeks.

"Tell me what's wrong first. You're fine one second and then now you're royally pissed. Who was on the phone and what did they say that made you so angry?"

"Oh, like you don't know!" I seethe, angrily pointing at the door as the tears cascade heavily. "Open the fucking door before I open it myself."

I look up at Harry's face, which falls immediately when he sees that I'm not playing around. His Adam's apple bobs quickly before he steps beside me and unlocks the door, keeping his eyes on me the whole time.

"You have to talk to me and tell me what's happened."

"Well apparently you don't tell me everything so what makes you think I should share everything with you?" I hiss, opening the door the rest of the way and jogging inside.

Harry calls after me as I dart up the stairs and straight into the bedroom we've been sharing for two weeks. A bedroom in which I've been sharing with a person that keeps secrets from me... important secrets.

I slam the door shut and go for the lock, only to find the lock not there. I curse loudly and kick my flat against the door before throwing my purse down in the middle of the floor and stomping into the bathroom. I shut and lock this door, sliding down the expanse of the wood and crying loudly.

I sob loudly, not caring that Harry, and probably the entire neighborhood, can hear me. I let everything out, my anger, the stress of the day, and the frustration over the fact that I will have to talk to Harry to get information on what I have just bound into.

I curl my knees up to my chest and hide my face away from the world around me as I sob, enjoying the small ball I've made myself into. And for a while the ball works by separating myself from the outside world, until it doesn't.

"Shay." Harry calls lightly through the wood of the door.

"Go away." I sob, my voice muffled by my arms and legs. I cry a bit harder just knowing that Harry is so close.

"I can't do that."

I usually run to him in situations like these. He holds me close, whispering sweet nothings into my ear whilst rubbing my back and kissing the top of my head. His scent is overly soothing and calming. I feel safe in his arms and cared for. But now I can't run to him, now I have no one to help me through this breakdown.