Part One: June-29

Choices come to you every second of the day. They are inevitable. They are unknown. And yet they are always expected. Sometimes, you make your own choices and other times people choose for you. Every decision effects you and the people around you. So, you must think carefully, whatever your options, about the out come for all.

            Time and again, a great and yet terrible thing happens. You are given a choice that seals your fate for the rest of your life. It may seal others as well.

            I, Riley Preston, age sixteen, have come upon a road with two paths.

            One will lead me down to a world of shadow. I will be there on stage, the star of the show, and yet no one will be able to see me except for my allies. I will go into the field, face the dangers of a spy and possibly death. I might die before I recieve the oppertunity to go into the field because of a curse.

            Or I can leave the cursed spot by traveling down the road now open to me. It is a back road with noteable fame around the same community as the last path. But I would never enter the feild. I would be restricted to stay behind the scenes. I would be back stage for the rest of my life.

            I thought that coming here, to Camp Columbia, was the choice that sealed my fate as a bad a**. But I was mistaken. Because here and now, is where I must choose. And this time there is more to loose.

            I could loose my life, and hurt the ones I love by staying in the cursed spot. And if I go, run into a safer field, I would be a coward. I would run, just like when I was in track or when things were too intense and I would go for help. I’m not doing that anymore though. I do not want to stay in that safe little place and follow every single rule. I want to do things on my own, be independant. I want to choose.

            “I’m not dropping the test,” I mumbled.

            “What?” Zoe asked. I pushed her arms off of my shoulders.

            “I’m not going to purposely fail the test, even if it puts me in danger.” I said a little louder this time, and looked into everyones eyes. Zoe’s. Dasha’s. Missy’s. And Jade’s. “If I fail or get a six, I will become a tech wiz. But if I recieve a seven or higher, I’m staying with you.”

            “Riley,” Missy frowned, “Do you understand how serious this is? You could be captured, broken, Riley, if you stay, you could-“

            “Die.” I finished for her, “I understand that. But still, I am not going to drop this test. It’s my desicion.”

            “But Riley” Missy whined.

            “Missy,” Dasha cut in, her lips a straight line. “She is digging her grave, Let her lie in it”

            “But-“ Zoe turned to her, about to argue. But one look at Dasha’s powerful vibe and she closed her mouth.

            “Let’s get some pasta.” Dasha said and turned to the pasta line. When she started walking, Missy and Zoe ran to catch up to her. Jade stayed behind.

            “The tech wiz life is a good one,” Jade said, turning to me. “You can recieve many honors and rarely be in any sort of danger.”

            “I know,” I nodded, “But I’m still not giving up on this exam.”

            “I know,” she smiled and I looked over shocked, “And I respect you for that.”