"It's nice to see you as well Julie."

"Come in dear, I heard you were in the hospital." I nod my head, not really wanting to talk about it. "Is everything alright?" No, everything is far from alright. Instead of speaking the truth, I simply nod my head. "Shall I get you cuppa then?"

"No, I just need to see mum, she wanted to meet with me." Julie wraps her arm around me, resting her gentle hand on the small of my back, surprisingly after the shock of her touching me if feels quite nice. Julie leads me to the back of the house, where my mother often kept herself. She likes to sit in the morning room and search the Internet for the best art finds, I don't quite get it.

I spot my mother at the far end of the room, her beautiful blonde hair is pulled back into a high pony. For being round fourty the woman looks to have never aged after twenty-five. If I didn't know her personally I would say she's a model with her skinny frame and piercing looks. She made be beautiful on the outside, but she is ugly on the inside.

"Mrs

"Mrs. Nichols, look who has arrived!" 

My mother looks up from her laptop and greets me with a far from warm smile when she sees me. In fact she holds up one finger motioning for me to hold on a moment before turning her attention back to the computer in front of her.

No matter how hard I try not to feel hurt, it still stings.

She and my father are always doing this, no matter if I'm twelve years old still or twenty-one. When I was in sixth form I would come home with big news about a test or a paper that I wrote and it would take me nearly an hour just to tell them because they wouldn't give me the time of day. During those days I rarely told them anything. It's simple: my family just doesn't care about me.

"My girl!" My mum coos, walking over to me with open arms. That's all it takes for me to break down in tears and run into her arms. I really just need a hug from my mother, even if she is quite inconsiderate and rude. "My dear, what seems to be the matter?" She asks as if she has no clue. "Is this about being in the hospital?" No shit mother! My mother pulls away and cups my face in her hands, wiping away my tears with her delicate thumbs.

"Yes, of course it is." I weep, my bottom lip severely trembling. The woman shakes her head and takes me by the hand, leading me to a couch at the edge of the room. From her facial expressions she looks as if she actually cares for once in her life.

"There, there." She "comforts" patting my arms lightly. "What exactly landed you in the hospital then dear?" She asks, taking me hands in hers. I drop my things onto the ground beside me and take a deep breath.

"Mum, something really bad happened to me." I mumble, crying a bit still. I don't think I will ever not feel the need to cry after what has happened.

"Well clearly, you wouldn't be in the hospital if nothing had happened." She jokes, laughing to herself. I stare back at her in disbelief; of course she's trying to joke at a time like this. "Were you doing something stupid again? Because the last time you landed in the hospital it was for that broken wrist of yours that you got from falling onto the pavement." I clench my jaw at her words, making me more angry than sad at the moment. "Oh no, or was it the ice skating accident that was the last time? Ah, I can't remember there's been too many incidences."