Chapter 68

I stand in the full body mirror, looking at myself in the little black dress that hugs my body. My curls are a pile of craziness on the top of my head. I'm not really sure how to wear my hair to a teenaged girl's memorial service. I hear footsteps come into Klaus's bedroom.

"You don't have to stare at me from the doorway like a creep, you know?" I say, knowing by the footsteps and the sound of his breathing that it is Klaus.

"You seemed as though you were in deep thought. I didn't want to disturb you..." Klaus says as I turn around to lay my eyes on him.

"I guess. I'm not really sure to be completely honest." I laugh as I rub the back of my neck with my hand. Klaus stands in front of me and looks at me a bit concerned.

"Want to tell me what's on your mind?" He asks me curiously as he reaches for my hands. I look at him and swallow hard, slightly lowering my eyes.

"It's just... Ever since I came back here, in this house... I feel uneasy. Like, my heart is always beating hard, and the atmosphere looms with death... It's almost completely unbearable to live in." I say as I take a deep breath as I push one of my crazy curls away from my face. Klaus looks at me with sorrow filled eyes.

"You do know that you do not have to go to Davina's grave if you do not want to... If it brings you too much discomfort I'd rather you stay here..." Klaus says looking at me with his compassionate blue eyes. Honestly, he has grown so much as a person and I cannot get over to transformation... But I guess that we've both grown so much since we first met.

"No, I owe her that. Considering the fact that I failed at taking down Lucien... I do owe her my respects." I say as I turn away from him to face the mirror. He stands behind me and I see him in the mirror.

"You look beautiful..." He says quietly, obviously not really sure what else to say right now. I just smile at him and laugh nervously.

"Thanks.." I say as I run my hand through my hair. Klaus reaches for my wrist, grabbing the hair tie off of it as he takes it into his hand. I just look at him curiously as he begins stroking my hair gently, eventually taking it all into his hand gently. He begins to pull my hair into a pony tail, letting a few curls go to frame my face.

"I knew you were having trouble figuring out how to do your hair... But I personally like this look on you, love." Klaus smiles from behind me as he places a small kiss behind my ear. I just let out a little laugh and look at him surprised.

"How did you know how to do that?" I ask him curiously as I raise my eyebrows.

"I have lived a long time, Penelope. In my a thousand years, I have had a ponytail, or two." Klaus smiles at me as I turn my head to look at him. I laugh and reach up, stroking his cheek.

"My husband with a ponytail? Sounds unlikely." I say with a smile as I lean in and press his lips gently to mine. His kiss comforts me in my uncomfortable state. This house used to seem lighter, but ever since I became what I am now, and everything has happened, it seems heavier, and full of grief. I pull away and look at him longingly.

"I love you." I whisper as I just wrap my arms around him in a needy way, resting my head on his shoulder. Klaus wraps his arms back around me and kisses the top of my head.

"I love you." He whispers back as he just holds me tightly. To be honest, I wish that I wasn't here. I wish that I wasn't here in New Orleans, the place where my life has fallen apart, over, and over again.

----------------------

I look at Davina's grave, tears shedding down my cheeks as I hold a red rose in my hands.