Chapter 5

Today was the day that I had dreaded for this whole entire month. The day that I officially turned twenty two in my immortal life. I had stayed in my room all day, avoiding any contact with the outside world. I look at the time and it reads

'8:00 pm' I had successfully avoided Klaus and Elijah all day, but I think that they knew I didn't want to be bothered. I walk into Hope's nursery and look around at everything. I put my hand on her reassembled crib and look down into the empty bedding.

"Maybe you will be here next year, baby girl" I breathe out as I just see an empty space. I turn away and hold back my tears as I walk back into my room. I hear a knock on my door and I plop down back on my bed and let out a long exhale. "I'm busy.." I say as I look up at the ceiling, but the person opens my door anyway.

"Ah yes, you look oh so very busy" Klaus's voice says in his Klaus way. I lean up and look at him, leaning against my doorway.

"Today I just want to be by myself, is that so much to ask?" I ask Klaus with a whine in my voice. A small smirk creeps on his face.

"Now, why would I leave a girl all alone on her birthday?" Klaus asks me curiously, his eyebrow raised. I roll my eyes at him.

"Oh yes, I should most definitely celebrate a day that is just another reminder that I'm going to look twenty one for all eternity" I say as I pull myself out of my bed and plant my feet on the ground.

"It could be worse" Klaus says shrugging his shoulders and crossing his arms over his chest. I let out a sigh and take a few steps toward him.

"What do you want?" I ask him as I put my hands on my hips. Klaus turns to leave my room but looks back at me.

"Well, come on" Klaus says as he tilts his head, showing the direction he wants me to go. I look at him skeptically. "But wait, close your eyes" Klaus says as he grabs me and covers my eyes with his hands as he begins to lead me out of the room, following closely behind me with his hands still covering my eyes.

"Do I really need to have my eyes covered for this?" I ask Klaus curiously as I walk down the stairs.

"Yes, it is a surprise for a reason" Klaus says as we reach the last step. Klaus finally stops walking so I stop walking. "Alright, you can open your eyes now" Klaus says as he removes his hands from my eyes. I flutter my eyes open and they adjust to my surroundings. I am astounded by what I see. The courtyard is strung up with lights and there are balloons tied to each chair that surround a table with a birthday cake lite with candles, I see Elijah standing at the head of the table, giving me a small smile. All the air is taken out on my chest.

"Oh my God... You guys! This is beautiful!" I breathe out as I put my hands over my mouth.

"Did you really think that we were going to leave you all alone, all day on your birthday?" Klaus says with a smile tugging at his lips. I look up at him and wrap my arms around him tightly.

"Thank you, Klaus. This is amazing" I say as my eyes start to get watery.

"Anything for you, little wolf" Klaus says as he places a quick peck on my cheek. My smile grows and I look away and my eyes fixate on Elijah, standing at the head of the table. I walk over and hug him tightly, and he settles his arms around me.

"Thank you, Elijah..." I breathe out as I just cling to him tightly. I let a tear escape my eyes as I let out an exhale before releasing from our hug. He looks at me like how he used to and places a small kiss on my forehead. Elijah looks towards the kitchen doors.

"You can come out now.." Elijah says to the kitchen doors. I give him and Klaus strange looks but when the doors fly open my breath is taken from my chest once again as Caroline, Elena, Stefan, and Jeremy rush out.