Chapter 61

I wait in the parking lot of a diner in the Appalachian mountains for Mary to come and pick up the girls from Klaus and I. Mary pulls up into the parking lot and parks the car, getting out and sending me a smile. 

"Hi Mary, thank you for coming on such short notice." I say to her as I hold Hope's hand and hold Faith's car seat in the other.

"Oh you know that it's no problem, I love sending time with these angels." Mary says as she takes Faith's car seat. I grab Hope and put her on my hip as I pull Mary into a hug.

"All I ask is that you keep my girls safe." I say to Mary as I hold Hope close to me.

"You can count on an old bird like me to protect your little girls, Penelope." Mary says as she carries Faith over to her car, putting her in the backseat. I lean over and gently kiss Faith's cheek, closing the car door and making my way over to the other side of the car, opening up the other side of the backseat.

"No, Mama!" Hope says as she wraps her arms around my neck tightly, not wanting to let me go.

"Mama loves you baby, be good for Mary." I say kissing her cheek and putting her into her car seat in the back of Mary's car. I close the door and then look at Mary with a smile.

"This means a lot. I just don't want them getting in harms way while Klaus and I figure out what's going on with these missing wolves." I say as I look at Mary, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"I'll make sure nothing happens to your little girls. I love you darling." Mary says as she pulls me into a hug.

"I love you too, thanks again." I smile at her as I begin walking back towards the diner, waving to her. She waves back and gets into her car. I watch her drive off and then I head back into the diner where Klaus is sitting at the counter. I walk over to him and sit next to him.

"Mary and the girls should be good for a few days." I say to Klaus as I push a curl behind my ear while looking at my husband. I look and see Klaus looking at a piece of notebook paper that has been ripped out of a journal.

"So, these are the Kingmaker offices. Which one should we visit first?" I ask him curiously as I look at the different locations. "Oh, and would you look at that, there are ten of them." I say reading down the list. Klaus stares at me worriedly and I notice his stares and furrow my eyebrows.

"Is there something wrong?" I ask him concerned as I reach over and put my hand on top of his. Klaus looks at me a bit anxiously.

"Lucien has revealed his true nature. He's taken Freya and is taking her somewhere North of New Orleans. And now, it seems her rescue depends on Elijah working with my ever-reliable brother Finn." Klaus says clenching his jaw slightly. I look at him understandingly and rub the back of his hand with my thumb.

"If you have to go back to New Orleans to help your family, I understand, and you should go. I'll stay and track down the Kingmaker's buildings. Lucien is trying desperately to cover up these wolf kidnappings and I'm going to find out why." I say as I take the piece of paper and slip it into my back pocket.

"No. You're my family too and I'm not going to let you go at this alone. The wolves, Freya's abduction, it can't all be coincidence. We'll let my brothers pursue the obvious path. You and I will pursue this one. No doubt all roads lead to the same treacherous bastard." Klaus says still clenching his jaw. I put my hand on his bicep and catch his attention.

"Are you absolutely sure? You know that I can do this on my own, I don't want to keep you from helping your brothers and sister." I say to him, my eyes serious.