Chapter 10

I braid my long mess of curls down my shoulder and I look at myself in the mirror. These past few days have been going by pain achingly slow. I walk out of the bathroom and I walk into Elijah's room. I see Klaus just standing there, looking down at him. I walk over and see Klaus's eyes shut and his nose is bleeding.

"Klaus.." I say gently shaking him. "Klaus!" I say raising my voice more, eventually snapping him out of his trance. Klaus looks at me and catches his breath. "What are you doing?" I ask him curiously as I put my hand on his shoulder to keep him stable in his weak state.

"I'm trying to enter Elijah's thoughts in an attempt to wake him up. But, Esther has locked me out" Klaus says as he wipes his bloody nose. I let out a sigh and sit down next to Elijah, putting my hand on his cheek. But I notice a mark on his neck, catching my attention.

"Klaus! Come look at this!" I say as I turn Elijah's head more to examine the wound. Klaus comes and peers over my shoulder, looking at the flower petal marking on his neck. Klaus looks at it intrigued.

"I haven't seen this mark since I was a child. Mikael would return back from battle more blindly temperamental than usual, and our mother would use petals of a rare merlock orchid to put him to sleep. She would mend his mind with a spell and then wake him up with the roots of the same plant" Klaus explains to me as he starts to pace. "If she has access to it now, maybe it also grows in the bayou. You stay here with your wolves and mind the fort" Klaus says as he is about to leave.

"What? Stay here with my wolves? I should be out there ripping Esther's miserable head from her body!" I growl angrily. Klaus gives me a serious look and comes towards me, looking me in the eyes.

"Penelope you need to promise to not go after my mother, She will not hesitate to make you a victim to her madness, I will not have Elijah wake up and have to face that after everything he has been through" Klaus says looking at me, his eyes sharp. I bounce around Klaus's words in my head and let out a sigh.

"I promise.. I won't go after her.." I breathe out as I cross my arms over my chest. Klaus leans over and kisses my forehead.

"Thank you Penelope, please stay safe" Klaus says as he turns to leave. When he exits the room I turn and I take a deep breath. I walk over to Elijah and sit next to him on the bed, placing my hand on his face and hair.

"I know better than to go after your mother head on, and I promise I will do anything to get her back for this.. I promise.."

-------------------

Word got to the Quarter that Oliver died last night in the bayou. I decided to drive out there and meet a grieving Hayley and Jackson. I pull up and see Hayley with her head in her hands sitting in a chair outside of the trailer. I get out and walk towards her slowly. I feel terrible about what happened with Oliver. I sit down across from her and put my hand on her wrist, catching her attention. She leans up from her hands and her eyes are puffy and red from crying.

"Hayley.. I am so, so sorry..." I say to her, my voice trying to be sympathetic. Hayley looks at me, her eyes full of pain.

"You know, Jackson and I had a funeral for Oliver this morning, we had it at dawn, just like crescent tradition.. Nobody showed up P! No one was here!" Hayley explains, her voice full of sorrow. I put my hand on her shoulder trying to rub her shoulder in comfort. Hayley gets out of my grasp and looks at me upset. "That crescent loyalty is gone.. It is gone.." Hayley says as she gets up and tries to walk away, but I reach up and stop her.

"I am so sorry that Oliver died but he doesn't have to die in vain, we have a war to fight, Hayley. Our people need you and Jackson.. They need there alphas.. Please.." I plead with Hayley, looking at her, a serious glint in my eye.