Chapter 35

Klaus's P.O.V.
I paint my canvas furiously, trying to get all of my anger and frustration out. I have been feeling so broken down since Penelope left, it's like everything inside me has just crippled. The only thing that keeps me going is Hope. When she is around, I am a good father to her, but when she is gone, I drown myself in alcohol, trying to forget about the girl I love.

"Brother..." Freya's voice says as she enters my room. I let out an annoyed sigh and stop my brush.

"What is it sister? If you haven't noticed I'm kind of in the middle of something." I say as I set my brush down and turn towards her aggravated.

"Why don't we go out and take a walk, get some fresh air? It will be good for you." Freya says approaching me gently.

"Camille already offered me that earlier, and I politely declined. So no thank you, dear sister. I'd rather just paint away my problems..." I say turning back around towards the canvas.

"Niklaus you cannot just live the rest of your life in your room while Hope is away. That is no way to live." Freya states, obviously concerned for my behavior.

"I do not have a life without her!" I burst out angrily at Freya. She just looks at me and I feel my emotions start to erupt inside of me. "Why can't you and Elijah see that I am nothing without Penelope... And it is nobody else's fault but my own. I already live with that guilt and I don't need you and Elijah breathing down my neck every second reminding me of it..." I growl at Freya as I feel tears come to my eyes.

"Then go and get her Nik! Tell her how you feel!" Freya urges me.

"It is too late now. She won't even answer my phone calls... I don't think that she will like me professing my feelings for her..." I say as take a deep breath. Freya gives me a strange look.

"Niklaus what is the time?" She asks me curiously. I pull out my phone and look at the time.

"1:45..." I say, being suspicious of her odd question.

"Penelope is supposed to be here with Hope in 15 minutes, now I know she has been upset with you but she has never cut contact with you... She has been punctual and fair when it comes to Hope..." Freya says as the wheels turn in her head.

"Are you saying she ran away with my daughter?" I ask as the rage over takes my body.

"No! Niklaus, I am saying that something could be terribly wrong..." Freya says, her tone serious. I think it over in my head for a second. Maybe she is in trouble. Penelope has been nothing but cooperative when it comes to co-parenting with me, and I have done nothing that would make her change her mind as of lately. Oh my God. I have to go to Mystic Falls.

-----------------------

Penelope's P.O.V
Hope and I drive down the road, it's pitch black outside. I just left the Salvatore boarding house to head back to Mystic Falls. I had an amazing time with my friends and family and can't wait until the next visit. I decided to drive at night so that I could get Hope back to Klaus's in time and then just sleep for a day straight. I look back at Hope who is gurgling happily in the back seat.

"Are you excited to see Daddy sweetheart?" I ask her curiously. She coos at me and I laugh at her adorable noises. I put my eyes back on the road and continue driving, tapping my fingers against the steering wheel to the music that is playing in my car. Hope starts crying and I turn my head to soothe her. I put my hand on her and try and soothe her. But when I turn back around there is someone standing in the middle of the street. I slam on my breaks and try to swerve out of the way, but my car swerves off the road and I slam into a tree right before everything goes dark.