Chapter 56

"Hey... Are you at the warehouse?" I ask Hayley quietly over the phone.

"Yeah, I'm here. We got who we're looking for. When can you be here?" Hayley asks me curiously.

"Umm, I can be there within maybe two hours, just keep her full of vervain until I get there..." I say to her as I look behind me to see if anyone is listening in on my conversation.

"Yeah of course, see you soon." Hayley says before hanging up the phone. I slip my cellphone back into my pocket.

"I thought you were still in the bayou..." A voice says behind me, making me jump and turn around quickly. When I turn around I see Elijah in my doorway peering at me.

"I came back to put the girls down for a nap... I shouldn't be going back out for a little while at least..." I say as I tuck a curl behind my ear. I try and walk past him but he grabs my arm and pulls me back towards him.

"Stop." Elijah says jerking me so that he can see me. I look at him, swallowing a hard lump in my throat. "What is this?" He asks as he touches his thumb to my head and pulls away some blood. I look at him wide eyed, trying hard to think quick on my feet.

"Hayley and I were horsing around and she cut me on accident. I must have forgot to clean up the blood." I say as I feel my heart beat speed up. Elijah lets go of me and looks at me in the eyes.

"Ever since Niklaus has broken his sire line you have been spending an awfully lot of time with the crescent wolves. Care to explain?" Elijah asks raising an eyebrow.

"When Klaus is paranoid about something, I tend to keep my distance. I just make it worse if I'm around him. Besides, the wolves need me, I am their alpha after all, you know?" I say to Elijah as I cross my arms over my chest. He just narrows his eyes at me. "Why have you come into my room? Care you explain?" I say as I narrow my eyes right back at him.

"I came to check on Faith, I checked on Hope just a minute ago. Since Niklaus is overwhelmed with everything, I saw it fit that I checked on them in his absence." Elijah says as he looks at the door to the nursery.

"Well... Thank you. Klaus hasn't been the same since his sire line has been broken and I don't know how to help him. There is nothing I can do for him and that makes me so angry!" I say as I push my hair out of my face in frustration. Elijah just looks at me.

"As of now, just remain out of his way. Go run a few errands, we are low on blood bags anyway, it will keep you busy." Elijah says in a soft tone as he sticks his hands in his pockets.

"You don't mind looking after the girls?" I ask him curiously.

"Of course not." He says looking into my eyes. I look up at him and give him a small smile.

"Thank you, Elijah. I shouldn't be long." I say as I pat his shoulder before leaving the room. It really sucks that I can't do anything for Klaus, and it really hurts how when he gets like this he distances himself from me, and all I care about is helping him through whatever he needs help getting through, but I just don't know how to do that.

--------------------

I walk into the compound after running a few errands and throw my things on one of the tables sitting in the courtyard. I pull my cellphone out of my purse and check it to see if I have any calls or texts, you know, normal everyday things. Suddenly I hear footsteps coming into the compound. I turn my head to see Davina walking into the courtyard.

"Davina?!" I ask gaining her attention, but before she can say anything to me Klaus is pinning her up against the wall by her shoulders. "Klaus!!" I scold him, obviously not wanting him to hurt her. Davina has done many bad things to my family, but at the end of the day, she's still a kid, and I know that my family has done bad things to her too. I don't wish any harm onto her.