(Heartbeat)

The last week was very weird for me. I never went school because we had the one week of but I still can’t forget about what Mr Benson had said to me. The guy said he had feelings but doesn’t want to do anything yet. If he had the same feelings for me, as I had for him then why was he always so mean to me. The agony, unbearable pain he put me through was for what reason?

“April come on” Dad said from outside my bedroom door, I got of my bed and opened the door.

“Where are we going?. Are you going to drop me off to school?” I asked him.

“To the hospital, the doctors have got Andrew’s results, once we get that I’ll drop you of”

“Ok then let’s go”

                                               *************

“So what is it then?” Dad asked the doctor. I looked over at Andrew as he just stared at me.

“His legs are paralyzed” My eyes widened as I heard what the doctor said. Andrew’s legs are paralyzed?

“But is he ever going to be able to move his legs?” I asked him. The doctor sighed and took of his glasses.

“There is a fifty-fifty chance that he might be able to…..or not. If you don’t mind can I talk to you outside sir?” The doctor asked dad, they both left and I went to sit next to Andrew.

“Hey. How you doing?” I asked him, he smirked and laughed a little.

“Not so good I mean I just found out that I might never be able to move my legs again” He said grumpily.

“But you might as well. Come on there is a silver lining here” I told him.

“Don’t give me that bullshit April” He said bitterly.

“But there is….you might and you know what I know that you will be able to move your legs” He rolled his eyes and looked away from me. “Andrew….please” He looked back at me and raised his eyebrows.

“What?!” He said harshly.

“I’m trying to be nice to you, the least you could do is show me a bit of respect” He told me. He started laughing.

“For what reason, it’s your fault that I am in this hospital bed right now!” He said screaming at me. I looked at him in pain and I am hurt right now as well.

“Andrew how dare you!” I heard dad say from behind me, I got up and walked past dad.

“Can you drop me off to school now?” Dad looked at Andrew angrily and then followed me.

                                                 *********

“April just ignore what Andrew says to you……he is just in a very difficult position right now” Dad told me trying to make me understand.

“Yeah dad I get it, bye” I got out of the car and shut the door behind me going to find the girls.

“Hey April!” I heard someone say from the distance, I turned around and saw Fiona running towards me with a girl next to her.

“Alright Safah I’ll see you later! She said to her, Safah walked of smiling.

“Hey Fiona” I told her.

“Hey….so how is Andrew?” She asked me.

“He is ok” I told her. She frowned at me.

“What happened? You look really sad” She told me. I shook my head and looked at the sky.

“Can we talk about this somewhere more….private?” She nodded her head and grabbed my arm. We walked to the back of the school building underneath the cool tree.

“So what happened?” She asked me.

“Well we just found out that Andrew’s legs are paralyzed” She gasped as I said that.

“Oh my god…”

“Wait. And the doctor said there is a fifty-fifty chance that he might be able to move his legs, or might not” She nodded her head.

“That’s good”

“And…..he goes that it’s my entire fault that he is in this position right now” She shook her head as a no.

“April you know it isn’t your fault. Andrew is just in a position where he feels like that he should blame someone for what happened to him. You know it isn’t your fault, don’t take it to the heart” She put her arms around me and hugged. I hugged her back holding back the tears.

“Let it out April” She told me. And I cried. I cried out everything.

“It’s all going to be ok” She said into my ear.

“No…..no it’s not” I told her.

“What is going on here? Get to lesson you two” I heard someone shout at us. Not just anyone Mr Benson. I don’t think he has seen as yet. Me and Fiona quickly parted as I wiped the tears on my face. She took a tissue out and handed it to me. I sneezed into the tissue and we both came out from underneath the shaded tree.

“April?” I heard him say, I looked at him and quickly wiped my nose one more time. This is the first time I have seen him since that week, when we both admitted our feelings to each other.

“Sorry we’ll be on our way to form class” Fiona said from beside me, I avoided his gaze and looked down.

“Actually April is in mine so come on with me and….” He looked at Fiona and awkwardly scratched the back of his head.

“It’s Fiona and we’ll talk about this later April” She gave me a quick hug and smiled at me. “Don’t stress yourself to much” She said before walking off. I looked at Mr Benson and started walking beside him.

“So how is Andrew?” He asked, you could clearly tell he was trying to make this less difficult for the both of us.

“Not so good. The doctor said his legs are paralyzed and that there might be a fifty chance that he might or might not be able to get his legs back”

“Poor Andrew” I heard him say.

“Yeah I know”

“Then why were you crying for?” He asked. Oh man he must have noticed me crying.

“I don’t know maybe because words can sometimes hurt” I told him honestly. I felt his gaze on me.

“What do you mean?” He asked. I stopped walking and so did he.

“He blamed me for the position he is in right now and I can’t help myself from thinking it is my fault” I felt his hand on my shoulder and then he took it off.

“The only person in blame is Andrew; if he had a little sense at that moment he would know that it was his fault for drunk-driving. But he needed to take the conscious of himself” He said.

“Like us two” I told him, he looked at me with a blank expression.

“April….”

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to say that. Sorry” I stared walking again but he stopped me by grabbing both of my hands.

“April I want us to be together you have no idea but we can’t expose this or we will both get in trouble”

“Whatever you say sir….whatever you say” 

"April"

"I can feel your heartbeat. Stop it" I told him and then walked of without him having to stop me.