Birthday wishes

"Darcy wake up wake up! It's my birthday, it's my birthday!" Luke runs into my room and wakes me up. I turn over and groan as I look at the time on my phone. 7:00 am on a Saturday. I guess I'm going to have to get used to it considering school starts on Monday. But of course I don't mind getting up early today because it's my little brothers birthday!
I gradually walk downstairs and into the living room, where a young boys eyes are lit up at the sight of his presents. We weren't able to get him much this year, due to the circumstances, but Ben helped us a little with the costs.
"Hello little Luke. Or shall I not call you that anymore? You are into double figures now."
"I know Im ten, I'm all grown up."
"You certainly are. But don't open your presents yet, wait for mum to come downstairs."
My mum slowly makes her way down the stairs with her eyes half shut and whilst trying to get her dressing gown on.
But as soon as she makes it to the living room her eyes open wide as she runs towards Luke and shouts "happy birthday my strong man" she gives him a hug, them me and her sit on the sofa next to each other.
Birthdays have never really been the same without dad here. It's hard to celebrate when you're missing a member of your family. But luckily for Luke it doesn't seem to effect him that much because he barely even knew his father. But I know he is with us on such important events like these. Love you dad.
"So what one are you going to open first?" I ask Luke.
"The biggest one!"
"Alright then. Go ahead, open it," he opens it with such excitement, and I watch my mum watch Luke open his first present, she has a massive smile on her face.
"It's Lego, it's exactly the one I wanted!" He jumps up and launches himself on top of both of us, we all hold each other in our arms for a bit, treasuring the moment, then Luke returns to his presents.

It's not long before he has opened them all. We now all get our breakfast and prepare for the chaotic day ahead of us.
We're having a party round our house this afternoon. We've invited loads of Luke's friends round to come and play, and have birthday cake. I've also invited Ben round so he can keep me sane through this hectic day.

Me and mum are in the kitchen preparing all the party food whilst luke starts building his Lego.
"I'm really looking forward to today, he's going to have a lot of fun." I say to my mum.
"Yeah, I love to see his little face so excited! It's been so long since we've been altogether celebrating something."
"We all celebrated my birthday?"
"I know, but you were sick then. Very sick. We're all okay now, we can all get on and start to lead happy lives. Even after everything that has happened to us." She tries to hold back tears." Im so amazed with how strong you two have remained."
"Thanks mum. But we couldn't have done it without you."
"Oh darling, you're the one who has managed to keep my spirits high. I haven't been too great, I know I haven't been the best of parents."
"Oh mum don't put yourself down like that." I put down Luke's cake, walk over to her and give her a hug. "It's amazing how you've managed to keep dealing with all the hard situations. After dad died, yes, you were a little shaken up, but you managed to hold it together for me and luke. And when I got diagnosed, I completely understood how difficult it was for you and our whole family. The fear and worries that must have been going through your mind... I honestly don't know how you dealt with it."
"Oh darcy, your so kind". She gives me another hug. "I obviously wish your father could be here to celebrate little Luke's 10th birthday. But I'm just grateful that you're still here and able to celebrate it. I always had the fear that you wouldn't be."
"So did I, I couldn't leave you and luke. There's no way I'm ever going to do that. We're a family now. And we're going to stay together... Forever. No matter the situation. If something else comes up along the way, we will get through it, just like the last few times. We've all proved to ourselves and to eachother that things can still be okay, and that we can remain strong in the hardest of times. I love you all, and my life wouldn't be the same without you."
Shes about to reply when luke comes barging in.
"When am I having my cake?" He shouts excitedly.
"In a minute we will wait for all your friends to arrive."

One sick love storyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara