Symptoms

Authors note:
Hey guys, I would just like to say Thankyou to all of you who are reading my book. I really appreciate it !!!!
Also I would like to say thanks for being patient, this is where Darcy and Bens story really begins.
I hope the first few chapters have really given you a chance to connect with the characters. Because this is where her cancer journey really begins.
I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I have writing it!!!!

Chapter 4:

"Oh sweetie, look at you." She comes speeding over to me. "When I got the call from the hospital I didn't know what to think, I I-"
"Mum it's okay... Im alright" I Interrupt her. She then gives me a tight hug and I sink into her body. I missed the sweet smell she always had, it gave me the feeling that I was safe and back at home. I closed my eyes and relaxed. But then we are interrupted by a doctor barging through my door. And my frown drops when my mum let's go and my nose is once again filled with the smell of disinfectant, instead of the sweet smell of home.

"Afternoon Darcy" the tall doctor says to me.
"Hi" I say shyly as I have never even met him before. And I'm usually quite shy around new people.
"Doctor is she going to be okay. What's wrong with her?" My desperate mother interrupts.
"Well, mrs greenwood. We're not exactly sure at the moment what's going on. But were planning on doing more tests to try and make a diagnosis."
"So your saying there IS something wrong?" My mum says and looks over at the doctor with puppy dog eyes.
"Well... All I'm saying is when a healthy girl her age throws up blood and collapses. It's usually for a reason. It may not be anything serious. But we just have to make sure."

She nods and so do I.
I hate uncertainty, I hate not knowing what's going on. And to think it might actually be something serious terrifies me. I mean... It can't be anything bad really can it? Nothing like this has ever happened to me. I just want answers.
"Darcy. Darcy" the doctors shouts and snaps me out of my trance. He walks overs and places a hand on my forehead. "Yeah" he says to himself, in a quiet mumbling tone. "Your temperature is still quite high but will give you something to keep that under control okay."
"Okay" I say quietly.
"So today, were going to run a few tests. But to determine the kind of tests we run will depend on what were about to ask you. Im going to get another doctor in here, and we will discuss if there has been any other symptoms before this event occurred okay. Be back In a sec."

After the doctor leaves my mum turns straight back to me and falls to the floor in her own puddle of tears.
" I'm okay mum, really I'm fine." I try to say to reassure her.
" no your NOT look at you. Your not fine! This couldn't of gone any worse for you!, I can't loose you!" My dad died when I was seven. She had a mental breakdown and then was determined not to loose me. She would always be so over protected of me( which was understandable).
" I promised myself I would never let anything happen to you" she groans.
" mum you haven't done anything wrong. It's no ones fault. You've done a great job protecting me" I say to try and calm her down.

After a while she stops sobbing, and sits down on the bed next to me. But as soon as the doctor enters she is straight back up.

"Hi Darcy I'm back. This is doctor hardy, she is just going to ask you a few questions okay." It's the same doctor I had when I first woke up in hospital, she seems nice.
"Hello Darcy. How you feeling?" She asks and places herself in the chair next to my mum.
"Okay... I guess," which is a complete lie I have never felt worse. But I didn't want to worry my mother.
"Okay, so I'm just going to ask you if there have been any signs of fever or anything before you collapsed the other day."
I think long and hard. Then realise the bruises I got from such little falls. I wonder if they noticed my bruises when changing me into my hospital gown. Should I mention it. But It might not even be linked into anything. So I just don't say anything.
"Okay. First of all, how have you been feeling in general lately. Shortness of breath, fever, achy bones?" She asks so many at once I done know how to start so I just say
"Yes"
"Yes? What do you mean?" She says very confused.
"I mean. I have had a bit of a fever, well just a high temperature and a feeling of wanting to vomit after eating the smallest amounts of food. But that's nothing really, maybe it's just my time of the month or something." My mum looks at me sarcastically as if to say, now is not the time to be making jokes. But I'm not joking, It could be. To be honest I'm just trying to come up with excuses and make it sound like there's nothing wrong because Im sure there probably isn't.
Ive never liked people making a fuss over me, I've never been one to accept sympathy.
"Okay" she says and scribbles something down on her daunting clipboard.
I end up telling her how I have become short of breath just when walking short distances and not wanting to eat the marshmallows even though that was meant to be the best part of the trip. But I still don't mention the bruises.
"Right so I think that should be enough. Do you agree doctor" he nods. "Okay so we will be back later to tell you what tests we will run okay."
Just as both doctors are about to leave I accidentally bash my elbow on the side of my bed and scream a little.
"Are you okay?" The young lady comes rushing over to me.
"Yeah I'm fine. Just hit my funny bone that's all. You know how painful that can be."
"Darcy let me have a look."
"No it's fine really." I shove my hands back under the covers.
Then the slightly more scary male doctor comes over to me. "Darcy, show doctor hardy, this could be important." After a while I give in. I lift my arm out of the covers and roll up my sleeves. She grabs my arm gently, then turns to face my elbow where an extremely large bruise is starting to form. It looks worse because I already had a bruise at the top of my arm from falling over on the bus the other day.
"Doctor come have a look at this." The male doctor comes over and carefully scans my bruise.
"Wow Darcy's this is quite a significant bruise you've got here."
"I know... But it's nothing, I fell over on the bus the other day. But I'm okay now."
"Darcy why were you trying to hide this from us?" He looks sternly at me.
"Well... Er... It's just because...to be honest... I didn't want to show you because I'm worried it could mean something and I really don't want there to be anything wrong. There can't be. I have to be okay. I have to be. " I just burst into tears and my mum brings me close into her.
"Okay Darcy, we understand. But next time if anything like this comes up again then you have to show us. Because if there is something wrong then we may be able to catch it early therefore it's more likely to be treatable."
I nod. Realising not showing them in the first places was a stupid thing to do.
"So IS There a thing else you would like to show us that you haven't already?" Without saying anything I point to my neck where the swollen lymph nodes are and to my knee where the other bruise is. After fiddling around with my neck for a while, they leave and tell me to just get some rest.
So that's exactly what I do.