The woods

Authors note:
So here we go guys, this is the first chapter of my story. I hope you like it.

But just remember, the first few parts are about Darcy before she was diagnosed with Cancer.
It will give you a chance to really connect with the characters before she becomes very ill.

Enjoy xx

Chapter 1:

I wake up with a serious stomach pain and a terrible cough. But I know I'm just nervous because today is the day I'm going to the woods. I hate the woods! It's a school trip, and Im being forced to go by my mother. It was either this or maths camp later on in the summer. So I chose this.
"Get up Darcy, the bus will be here any minute."
"I'm just coming mum."
She always gets very paranoid when it comes to these things, she worries to much. But I guess all parents do.
"Come on Darcy," my mum hollers from downstairs. Again.
"I will be down in a minute" I reply furiously. I stressfully settle my warm , protective clothes , hot water bottle, life saving jacket , instructions for tent making into my already half packed suitcase prepared for ...the woods! I don't know if I'm going to survive the bitter nights full of hissing winds and catastrophic bugs that crawl into your ears, sleeves and leave surprises in your clothes or hot chocolate in the morning. I tried camping once with my mum, dad, and brother. It was horrid! I didn't last one day lying on the cold, bug infested ground as in the morning (after a dreadful night sleep) I barely noticed the spider eggs laying in my shoes multiplying by the minute. After that day I wouldn't set foot on a camping sight or go any where involving wildlife ever again.EVER. I would sleep in the car in an awkward position cramped between the door handle and empty crisp packets left by my brother during the loooooong journey. Yes, I HATE camping.
Luckily this camping trip is only for 5 days. Can I survive that long? I will have to try.
" come on your breakfast is ready" repeats my mother. This time I can't be bothered to answer my minds already boggled with the fact I keep asking myself over and over again . Why?why am I going?
Wow this is effort, have you ever tried carrying a 200 pound suitcase down the stairs, and yes I know that's not mathematically correct but I'm not very good at maths ok. Wait, maybe I should of gone to math camp. But it's too late now I'm only half way down the stairs and the door has already be nudged open by my desperate mother to get me out of the house.
I missed breakfast. Which is a shame because it's probably the only delightful thing that will be happening today. But I don't really mind as I'm not that hungry anyway.
"Hurry up you lazy child" she starts fierce fully. " I know you don't want to go in this trip, but it's only for a couple of days and I'm sure you will have a lot of great experiences and learn lots to." And she carries on more calmly. " look you will be fine, but there is no changing your mind now, the bus will arrive any minute and you haven't even got your shoes on yet" and she's back to her fiery self.
I slot my feet into the cramped, sweaty hiking boots, which I will take off straight away on the bus and change them to my comfy converses that I bought from America last year. A trip that was actually successful. " why do I need to wear these awkward shoes anyway their no different to any others?" I say.
"You'll see when you get there" said mum with a sort of winking look in her eye. You'll see when you get there, what could that mean? Well I guess I will see when I get there.
I'm Sitting outside the door, brushing the cats fur waiting for the bus to come. At least i know someone will miss me. " don't worry I will be back soon, love you kitty" I mildly whisper in his ear. I almost miss the bus after sneezing continuously from getting the cats fur up my nose. But I'm up now and prepared. Sort of.
My mum came up to me and gave me a comforting cuddle and a reassuring kiss that everything will be alright. She loves me really. And I love her. " bye" we carefully hear each other murmur while I walk away into the bus full of 20 other depressed kids.
I swipe my head and slide the sweat off onto my next door neighbours car, while strolling to the bus looking like a tramp carrying my tiny suitcase stuffed with thousands of products that aren't even related to camping. But mum doesn't know she was too busy worrying about me being late.
Oh no, I'm getting nearer to the bus now and I think I can faintly detect ...Ben. Ok , Ben has been my crush for like ever but I don't think he even notices me around school. This is really awkward. Can it get any worse. Right now before anything else happens, in the movies whenever any one says "can it get any worse " something always equally as bad happens. So let's get on the bus and hope this isn't true.
First step, I'm ok. Second step, I notice some mud and trickles of slush from anxious shoes rushing to get on the bus. I'm careful. But one more step I suddenly notice the roof turning upsidown. Of course I have fallen leaving the rest of the pupils proceeding towards me but all i I can see is a big blur and a large, strong hand heading towards mine.

"Ow my head, where am I ?" I gradually sit up feeling woozy.
" are, are you okay Darcy?" Replied a strangely familiar voice.
" what happened" oh my gosh my head feels like I've just been hit by a truck. My mind is drowsy and I cant quite picture where I am. In fact I can't even remember what day it is or what I'm doing today.
" you slipped on some mud and landed on your head, but I'm here now, I rescued you and brought you to the back of the bus with my mates. Your in good hands don't worry" speaks the familia voice but I'm still confused on what's going on. Wait, did he say bus? I think I'm remembering something now, hold on I'm on my way to the school trip to the woods. And that means... BEN! Is it him. Oh no If it is I am so embarrassed because I just fell down a flight of stairs onto concrete and I was wearing a skirt so he probably saw my underwear. Oh no this is terrible. This day CANT get worse.
Rapidly I turn my head towards the strangers voice and it is him. I'm perched on his lap in an uncomfortable position surrounded by 6 other boys. Pretty much all of them were very good looking but not as good looking as Ben.
I'm feeling more like my self again my vision is clearer and I can remember more about what's going on right now. But I'm still in bens lap. I want to move but I'm worried that if I do I won't get a chance to be as close to him or even talk to him again so I decided to remain seated for a little longer as he re-does my hair. I usually wear my hair up all day everyday, never thought of wearing it down, I'm not the girl to go to that effort of wearing Make-up and jewellery and all that junk, I simply wear a straight pony tail that falls down my back and gently reaches my hips. I would generally get made fun of because of my hair. It's so long people start calling me names, you would think it would be something like rapunzel or princess but no, not at all. But so far Ben doesn't seem to mind. Eek exciting.
He gently swifts his hands through my braids, and carefully straightens them out so I have just got one strip of long hair which I am currently sitting on. It's warm and comforting on my neck as I gradually lean Back and touch the frizzels of hair running down my neck.
"You should wear it like this more often, you look beautiful." Speaks Ben. Do I turn around to look at his face or do I nod continuously but keeping my back to him. No. I pivot my head cautiously, trying not to whip him with my hair. And I eventually meet his face which has a huge grin on it and a slight look of uncomfortableness. I suddenly have realised I am sitting on his hands. I quickly bound off his lap and onto the floor. My hair is covering my face and a pinch of it is laying gently on my tongue. I quickly spit it out leaving a clump of wet hair rest on my forehead.
"Are you ok?" He says.
"I'm fine, just not used to having my hair down that's all." We have a little chuckle at the same time.
" why not? it really suits you" wow he is being so nice to me, not calling me any rude nicknames or laughing at my face but instead laughing with me. He is just perfect.
"Awwwwww thanks, your nicer than anyone else I have ever met, they usually hate me wearing my hair down because I look really ugly." I say.
"What, well those guys are idiots, I think you look great , so ignore them and just be yourself." I think that is the nicest thing anyone else has said to me before. Maybe this trip won't be so bad after all, as long as we're together. Oh no how do I reply, I want to say something equally as nice but it probably won't come out right.
" I like ...I.. I... Like your... Gloves" what why did I say that, I need to compliment what he looks like not on what he's wearing. Ahhhh. Wait a second he's not mad. Instead he is giving a little giggle to him self. Maybe he thought what I said was cute. Or maybe it's the fact we've had this whole conversation while I'm sitting on the floor in some gum. Right now I have to try and get up looking casual to make it look like I was meant to be sitting on the floor. No it's not going to work, just stand up quickly so they don't notice. And I'm up. Looking around no-one noticed, I think.
I go sit down on an empty booth so nothing else humiliating can happen today.
Phew, four hours on the bus and I can see the sign for camping. Wow I never thought I would say that, because I've never been excited to get to a camping sight Infact I'm the complete opposite, I hope for the journey to go on longer and hope mum makes a few wrong turns so we never arrive at the camping sight. But were here now hopefully no more embarrassing stunts for me today.
While everyone is walking off the bus I wait until the end so no one can watch me trip up or something. So I finally stand up hoping everyone's gone.
And eventually were here. " now children, we've arrived at the camping site stay by my side." Spoke miss Grunch.
Wow this may not be as bad as I thought, there are hundreds of kids running around playing in a park. There are bikes and football pitches, and OMG is that a WATER PARK. " ahhhhhh yay"
I'm racing towards the water park, ow I feel something hard hit my chest. It's my teacher miss grunch , holding her arm out and stopping me from heading into the water park.
"WHAT do u think your doing, young lady , this is not for you, our camping site Is this way"
She points in the opposite direction towards a dark, gloomy wood. I am NOT going in that.