It's a match!

So... Yesterday I found out I need a bone marrow transplant. Which is great! But... I need a donor.
Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find a donor who matches your exact blood type, you don't want any random bone marrow being put into you. You need a specific type of bone marrow that suits your body.
This can only mainly come from a member of your family. Usually the strongest match will come from one of your siblings. So we've decided to get luke tested.
I don't know how he's going to be able to deal with the hospital and all the needles and everything. He's still so young and innocent, but he has agreed to do it. With a little persuasion.
I don't think he quite understands what's going on, but all he knows is that he is going to make me better. And that thought makes him happy at the thought of me getting better.

We're taking him to the hospital tommorow to get tested. Usually all this wouldn't be happening so soon, but Dr. Kartor has insisted that its crucial for me to get the transplant done as soon as possible. My life depends on it. Literally.

So, today I'm back at home with my family. Because I'm stopping chemotherapy now, they're letting me stay at home and relax and spend some time with the ones I love before I get my transplant. I'm not going to come home for a very long time, maybe even 3 months. It's going to kill luke, and ben, and all my friends, but I have to do it. I know it will help me in the long run.

--

Today is the day that luke is getting tested to see if he's a match or not.
We're all travelling(including ben) up to the hospital for him to have a blood test.
He seems pretty confident, but I've still got him wrapped up in my arms just incase.
I'm sitting in the middle holding luke on the left of me, and ben is on the right, holding me tightly.
And my mum is driving, she probably shouldn't be driving in this state, but I wanted ben to be at the back with me and luke.

"So you feeling alright luke?" I ask.
"Um... I'm a bit scared. Will it take long?"
"Of course not, they're just going to prick you with a tiny tiny needle, take some blood, then it will all be over and done with. It won't take long at all"
"But I don't like needles!" He whimpers which makes me hold him even tighter.
"I know you don't, but I'll be with you, holding your hand the whole time alright. You don't even have to look at the needle, you can just stare at me and ben whilst we make funny faces"
"Are you sure it won't hurt?"
"Positive!"
I try and sound as confident as possible to make sure he's feel safe and secure, with what's about to happen.

Once we arrive, he refuses to get out of the car.
"Come on little man" ben picks him up and gives him a piggy back ride to the reception.
"Weeee, go faster go faster" ben speeds up and they almost topple over on the way there.
If ben wasn't here, I don't think we would have ever been able to get luke out of that car.

"Luke greenwood, here for a blood test?" My mum says as she checks us in at reception.
"Yep, we have him right here, go take a seat a nurse will be with you in a minute.
Because I'm a Cancer patient, we have to get this done in a pediatric oncology ward. I actually don't have to be on a kids ward anymore now that I'm 17, but I still get the choice. I chose the kids ward because everyone is still so much more lively and... Young! The other wards will just be filled with grumpy, moaning elderly's.
I'm fascinated as I watch luke stare at the younger children with no hair.
He's come here before, but he usually just concentrates on me so doesn't pay much attention to the other kids.
"Darcy?" He asks.
"Yes luke?"
"Is that sadie over there? I remember her from last time, can I go play with her?"
A tear escapes my eye and travels down my cheek. I never told him that Sadie died, how can you tell a 10 year old that?
"Um... Luke, I'm afriad that isn't sadie"
"Well where is she?"
"She's er... She's not here anymore darling." I hold his hand and stroke his hair as I say this. "I'm afriad she passed away last Christmas"
"She's dead?" He says so sweet and innocently.
"Yes but that can be seen as a good thing, she's not in any pain anymore! She's happy, living a life somewhere with a family that cares about her. I'm sure she's watching over us now... Just like dad is"
My mum stares over at me and grabs my hand, I wipe the tears from our eyes and whisper in her ear "don't show your tears mum, luke needs to know that we can be strong....That its okay that he's gone"
"You're right, of course darling, You're right."
Thankfully, a nurse interrupts our upsetting moment by calling luke over for his blood test.
We all get up and walk in with him.

I can tell He immediately feels Intimidated by all the machines and needles. I was at first to, but I've certainly had to get used to them.
"Darcy can I sit on your lap?" Luke asks whilst biting his nails with anticipation.
"Of course"
I go and sit in the chair next to the nurse then he slowly plonks himself on to my lap.
"Now roll up your sleeve for the nice lady, " I say to luke, and he doesn't stop staring at the needle that the nurse is holding the whole time.
"Now your just going to feel a small prick" says the nurse as she pushes the needle inside his arm.
I grab Luke's head and turn it away from the needle. He's surprisingly being really brave! Ben is making silly faces behind me which makes luke smile.
"You're doing really well luke, you're being such a good boy." Says the nurse as she withdraws his envious, healthy blood from his vein.
"And it's all done" she gently pulls out the needle and let's luke choose a sticker.
"The tiger!" He says sounding excited.
The orange and black striped plaster is layed on top of the small hole laying in his arm, which will heel up within a few days.
The nurse gives him a lolly pop, then we all happily walk out of the hosptial.
As we're walking back to the car, we give luke a lot of praise.
"You were so so brave luke, that was amazing, you didn't even cry!" I say whilst ben gives him another piggy-back ride.
"I know! It didn't even hurt that much!"
"Really! Well that's amazing"
I'm so thrilled he has managed to deal with this situation so well, but all I keep thinking Is what's to come next.
If he is a match, then he will have to go through a whole surgical procedure to remove the bone marrow. He will need more than a few funny faces and a lolly pop to get him through that.

--

It's very early in the morning, but the phone is ringing.
I hear my mum rush downstairs to get it. If someone is ringing this early then it has to be something important.
I quickly get up out of bed and wrap a dressing gown around me.
I then walk slowly, so I don't topple over, down to the bottom step of the stairs. I stop and listen to my mum on the phone.
"Hi, Dr.kartor! " she says anxiously.
It must be about the blood test results. But I didn't know they could do it so quickly.
"Yep, of course, yep, I understand.
Okay that's great, can't wait to tell her, bye see you soon!"
She excitedly puts down the phone, turns to me and shouts  "IT'S A MATCH!"
I run up to her and as I go to hug her we collide so hard that it causes us to laugh.
"This so amazing mum, things are going to be alright, I'm going to be okay!"
The thought of me surviving Cancer and getting rid of it for a second time makes us both so happy. A rush of exhilaration flows through my body, and right now I don't know what to do with myself.
It's a match! It's a match!
All this time I've been telling luke that I'm  going to try my best to work hard and fight Cancer off so i can survive. But now... He's going to be the one saving me...

One sick love storyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें