New endings for new beginnings

Me and melody had a good chat last night. It lasted for hours, until eventually she needed to sleep.

It's been a few days now, and I've only got 2 days left in the hospital.
Ben has visited me twice, not as much as usual though. But it's okay, I understand why.
He'll be coming tommorow though, so we can both say goodbye to this place.
As it has been a massive part of both our lives for the past year.

Each day has been a normal day. I get chemo, I eat, then I sleep. That's about it. But it's nice to have another girl to talk to. I miss not being able to talk to sadie, but it's nice to have someone around my age to talk to. We can relate to more things. And it's okay for her to know the truth of how serious her condition is.
We're going to have another chat today after her oncoligist comes in to tell her the results form her recent scan and blood tests.
We don't actually know that much about eachother, just that we both have Cancer. And are in a lot of pain.
So today I'm going to try and find out more.

--

Her oncoligist has been in there for a while, which usually means it isn't good news. As soon as everyone leaves, I go into melody's curtains.
She's crying.
"Melody, what's wrong?" I pounce over to her and sit at the end of her bed.
She doesn't reply, I can tell she doesn't feel like talking. So instead I give her a hug.
"I'm sorry" she mumbles. "I just got some bad news."
"Do you want to talk about it. It might make you feel better."
"Um... Sure? The doctor said that my Cancer has spread further than They thought. I've got stage 4 cancer, and there are only 4 stages. Im really scared Darcy." She hugs tighter in to me.
I try and calm her down before I say anything.
"It's alright, it's alright... Okay, I will admit that isn't the best of news, but it doesn't mean you can't still kick cancers butt. I know plenty of people who have got stage 4 cancer and survived it. My nan did. And she's a grumpy old lady, if she can do it you can too."
"I guess... Maybe."
"Don't let this put you down huh! Let's talk about something else. Like... Where are your parents?"
"They're at home with my brothers and sisters. They hardly ever come here."
"Oh, do you have a lot of siblings?"
"Yeah, I have 4 younger brothers and 2 older sisters"
"Wow, that's a lot. Well I don't blame them for having to stay at home. It doesn't mean they don't care about you, I'm sure they still love you very much and are exteremely worried about you, but maybe it's just a bit difficult right now. They're probably still finding it hard to deal with the fact their baby daughters got Cancer. I'm sure they'll  sort things out."
"But how?!"
"melody, its only been a week since you  were diagnosed. These things take time. You will all get to grips with things eventually. I promise."
She sucks up her tears, and sits up on her bed.
"Thanks darcy. I don't know what I'm going to do without you when you leave."
"You'll get a new roommate, and she would have been through the exact same thing that I have. And you can have lots of chats with her. I'm sure she'll be as nice as me."
"Probably not, I don't think I've ever met anyone as nice as you are."
"Thanks melody that means a lot. But trust me, Cancer does something to you. It brings out a side to me I never knew I had. And one day, when your getting your last round of chemo, you can talk to a younger, new girl just like I am now. And you can tell her how hard it was, but how worth it it all was. You will get through this. "
The look melody gives me when I speak is so inspiring. It's nice to know I can help other people who are about to go through what I have gone through already.
I never thought Cancer would have any point to it. But I think it does in some aspects.

Bella comes in to my room to un attach me from the toxic chemicals entering my body.
"So how are you feeling today Darcy?"
"Better thanks. Honestly, I've just been looking forward to getting out of here."
"I don't blame you. You've spent enough of your life here."
"But I am going to miss you though. A lot. I'm never thought a nurse could become one of my best friends. I hope the next Cancer patient you have to look after is as amazing as me." We both laugh at my little joke, but then suddenly her smile drops, and she looks quite sad."something wrong?" I ask.
"No. Well... There's something I want to talk to you about." She finishes off with all my tubes and everything, then she sits at the end of my bed. "I've been thinking about it for a while. And I have actually come to a decision."
"About what?" I ask concerningly.
"I've decided to move on from being an oncology nurse."
"What really?"
"Yes, It was a really hard decision. But since I've been here I've realised I'm still young and have still got so many wide opportunities available. It's working with sick kids everyday that has made me realised this. But no offense ."
"Of course not, I understand. So what do you want to be?"
"I'm not sure yet, but I'm going back to university. I want to try something new, something I've never done before."
"That sounds amazing ,I'm really happy for you. So when do you leave?"
"Next week."
"Really!? So I'm your last patient?"
"Yes, I'm so glad I get to spend my last week with you."
"So am I. At least I got to be with you for my whole journey with Cancer. And I'll never have to know what it's like without you."
"Well... Obviously when you have to come back in and stuff I won't be here but-"
"Wait what?"
" for check ups, and scans and things."
"Wait I still have to have tests done?"
"Yes darcy."
I've been so caught up in knowing that chemo will be over, that I completely forgot that I would still have to come in for check ups and things.
"Cancer doesn't end when you're in remision. It's a harsh truth. I know. There will most likely be some long term effects from all the treatment you've had. And the doctors obviously need to check that you haven't relapsed or anything."
I suddenly start feeling sick at the thought of getting Cancer again. I haven't really been thinking about the possible risks as I've just been focused on all the positive things.
"Sorry Darcy, I didn't mean to upset you."
"No it's alright, it's just a shocking realisation."