The truth hurts

Chapter8:

Beep...beep...beep
This noise is the first thing I hear when I wake up. I'm terrified to open my eyes so I keep them closed but start feeling my surroundings. On my arm I feel a bandage and a long tube coming out of it. The sheet on top of me is extremely thin.
But it's not until I get a whiff of disinfectant that I realise I'm in the hospital.
I then quickly open my eyes and the first thing I notice is a nurse asleep in the corner. I think it's Dr hardy, the nurse I had before when I first came into hospital, but I'm not quite sure. I look around and notice it's just us two in the room.
The beeping noise is coming from a machine next to me that is monitoring my heart rate. And the tube coming out my hand is a drip.
So many things go through my head, I remember nothing. The last thing I can remember is sitting on the swing with Chelsea and then fainting.
I wonder if Ben knows. I just want the nurse to wake up so she can tell me what's going on. I shuffle around into a more comfortable position, this causes the bed to move and squeak, which causes the nurse to wake up instantly.
"Oh Darcy your awake" she comes straight over to me whilst rubbing her eyes trying to wake herself up.
"Yeah, but only for like a few minutes.what's going on?" I ask in a voice that doesn't sound like my own. A bit like when I first came into hospital.
"Well...we're not exactly sure what caused it but your heart rate suddenly sped up. This caused you to faint and because you bashed your head you may have concussion"
"Has the cancer spread?"
"We don't know yet. Were going to give you an MRI later once you had woken up and recovered. I will go get the doctor in charge of your treatments and scans okay."
I nod and then lie back down. I try to go to sleep but too many questions and worries past through my mind. Ben...cancer...Ben....cancer. That's all I can think about.

I look around the room to try and distract myself from these thoughts. The room looks like it is just for me, it has one bed and a large chair which I'm guessing is for people like my mum to sleep on. A lot of medical equipment and a small window. The walls are painted a pale blue and white colour. And cartoon characters have been drawn all over the walls. I'm obviously still in the children's part of the hospital. But I guess I'm only 16, I'm still a child.
Even though the window is small I can see a lot out of it, although it's not very interesting, all there is to see is the car park and the ambulances arriving every few minutes with another unfortunate patient.
The one thing I've never liked about hospitals is the look that all the nurses and doctors give you every time you entered the hospital. They're all the same. All the rooms are the same and smell the same. It's almost like they're saying when you are a patient your are the same as everyone else, you have no individuality, your just a patient that's all.
Yes, Each cancer patient may look the same with their bald heads and pale skin. But we all have our own story behind the cancer situation. It's just something that people obviously can't see past.
Cancer doesn't just affect the one patient, it also affects the people around them to.

I get a knock at the door and I tell them to come in. As they enter I'm shocked as I thought it would be the doctor and the nurse walking in but it isn't. It is Chelsea.
"Hey my darling Darcy, I was so scared, I didn't know what to do so I just called an ambulance. When they arrived, and I watched you, you were just, I didn't know-"
"Chelsea it's okay. I'm okay"
She leans in and hugs me and using all the effort I have left I lean in and wrap my arms around her.
"Thank god, I was so worried about you,"
"Well thanks. You basically saved my life."
"Oh it's nothing really." We both share a little giggle then I hear some loud shouting and banging coming from behind the door.
"What on earth is that?" I say terrified and have my eyes glued to the door.
"Oh yeah, about that!" Chelsea says while gritting her teeth so I can barely hear her speak.
"About what Chelsea? Chelsea please tell me that's not who I think it is."
As the voices start to become louder and clearer I think I can depict who it is. But I don't want it to be. "Chelsea tell me that is not him."
"Im sorry Darcy, I just had to ,he was so worried about your earlier, I had to call him, I had to." She says at a really quick pace.
"CHELSEA" I shout.
"I'm sorry, but how could I not, you know deep down this is the right thing to do."
I don't reply this time I just carry on staring at the door waiting for what is about to occur.

It's been a while now but none of them have entered. Me and Chelsea have stayed silent whilst listening to the conversation. I have managed to figure out that ben is having an argument with two other doctors. One of them is doctor hardy and the other one is the guy In Charge of my whole situation, like treatments and stuff.
"I told you immediate family only"
"I just want to see her. Please just let me in." Comments like this go on for hours. Until finally I hear ben say "I don't care anymore I'm just Going in."
"No you can't she's-"

"Darcy" ben shouts as he comes running in. "Chelsea called and I came straight away. What's going on. Why are you back in the hospital? " he says really quickly and like he's really out of breath. He remains staring down at me breathing heavily and waiting for an answer. I remain speechless but the doctors come in and interrupt ben.
"I think it's time you leave ben. We need to talk to her and check her Cancer hasn't spread."
"Cancer? darcy what are they talking about."
"Ben I didn't want you to find out this way."
"Find out what. Do you... do you you...."
"Yes... I have Cancer."
"Wait... w...w . what!" He says almost angrily. "why didn't you tell me? I could have helped, I could have been there for you.. I I-"
"Ben I just couldn't"
"Why not"
"I didn't want to hurt you. I was going to tell you the night I ran away but then you told me about your sister. And I knew how upset that made you, I just couldn't see you cry again. I ran away in hope that you wouldn't go after me and you wouldn't look for me. I didn't want you to loose someone else really close to you. Its better to lie, and keep the other person happy, than tell the truth and have them Sad. The truth hurts ben. I didn't want to see you hurt"
"That's no excuse Darcy, you should never keep something that big from me."
"Exactly, it is something so big that I just wasn't ready for you to know yet. I'm trying to come to terms with it myself, let alone try and get someone else to come to terms with it."
"Darcy I don't know if you understand how difficult this is for me now."
"DIFFICULT FOR YOU!" I shout. "How could you be so selfish' and even say that? I have gone through hell in last few weeks. And you think you have the right to say it's been difficult for you." I say so loud that I becomes really out of breath and start hyperventilating.
"Darcy that's enough." The doctor shouts. "Darcy are you alright"
He looks over to me as I start having difficulty with my breathing. "okay she needs oxygen."
"No I'm fine" I shout and try and push the doctors away from me.
"Nurse hand me the oxygen mask please. She needs it now."
"What's going on?" Ben shouts while still looking at me.
"Ben I think you should leave" Dr hardy says.
"No I'm not leaving her!" Ben screams at an even louder pitch.
I struggle as I move around trying to get the doctors off me "I'm fine" I say through the oxygen mask.
"Darcy just lay still everything will be alright"
Before I know it Ben is grabbing hold of my hand so tight, I think the blood flow is cut off to it.
" DARCY!" Chelsea shouts, I forgot she was even in the room.
My eyes start to close but before they fully shut I notice I am being wheeled out the room at a rapid rate.
I get as far as the corridor until everything is black.

--

Beep...beep...beep

I hear the machines go off again.
I open my eyes and Dr hardy is sitting in the corner of the room again. she's asleep. Again.
The events replay just like they did when I first woke up in hospital. Although this time I'm more confused.
As soon as she notices I'm awake, she comes running over to me again.
"Darcy. hi, now before you say anything I would just like you to know that everything's alright. you have only been asleep for a few hours."
"What happend this time?"
"It wasn't as bad as when you first came into hospital, you just started having trouble with your breathing so we thought we should have your scan done sooner rather than later."
"Do they know what's wrong?"
"Well I don't. But your head oncologist will be coming in in a minute to give you any results"
I don't reply this time, I just sit there wondering what's going to happen. these results could change my whole life.
I look down to where a drip is still placed in my left hand. The nurse is holding on to it tightly. I look up to her face and she gives me the most sympathetic look. I know that she knows what's going on. And the look she's giving me isn't very promising.

A few minutes later there's a knock at the door. A few doctors and my mum enters.
She rushes over to me and gives me a much needed hug. Then sits back down in the chair.
"We have the results from your latest scan here Darcy. And I'm afraid it's not good news."
I look up at him speechless. Lost for words.
"It seems that your Cancer, is further on than we thought. I'm afraid to say that it has spread.
The Cancer has spread to your liver."