The diagnosis

I'm woken by a large hand touching my shoulder. "Darcy. Darcy!" The figure says.
My eyes adjust and it's the tall, male doctor from before. "Hi Darcy, were ready to run some tests now okay."
"What tests?" I say quietly as i have only just woken up.
" well first of all we were just going to do a blood test but we think in your situation a bone marrow biopsy is more appropriate."
I look up at him worried because I know how discomforting biopsys can be. My dad had one when he was being diagnosed and I saw the amount if pain he was in after. I am not looking forward to it.
Later on in the day they prepare me and soon I'm in the operating room. What scares me the most is the fact I'm awake, I know I will be numbed and everything but the thought of it still freaks me out.

A little while later I'm out. It wasn't too bad, the worst part was when they pushed the needle into the bone, even though I was numb I could still feel a sharp pain.
"Okay Darcy you get some rest and we will be back in later with the results okay."
I nod as I'm still half out of it from the drugs they gave to me.
When I start to feel more human again i pick up my phone and text Ben. I never really got to speak to him properly and I want to tell him what's going on.

Me - hey Ben, I really hope I can see you soon. Feel free to come visit me whenever you want. I miss you so much and I never got a chance to really tell you how much I like you.
I just thought id let you know that I'm still in the hospital and have had a bone marrow biopsy, they're giving me the results later on in the day.
It's probably nothing but I would love it if you could be with me.

Love you xxxx

-

An hour later and he still doesn't reply. He's opened it but he didn't reply. That's what annoys me most.
After checking my phone over and over every few minutes I eventually drift off to sleep.

I wake slowly but I can feel someone touching my lips, I opened my eyes alarmed and I calm down as I notice Ben is kissing me. I hold it for a few seconds then he finally pushes away.
" Ben?" I say
"Hey Darcy"
"What are you doing here."
"Well I got your text and felt so bad for not being here for you so I came straight away."
I don't reply,instead I just sit up and grab the top of his shirt so our faces are inches away from each other, he then grabs my back and I sink into his arm. Then we kiss passionately.
"I love you so much" he says then carries on kissing me.
But we are soon interrupted by a knock at the door.
"Hello sweetie may I come in?" It's my mum.
"No she can't see you" I say to Ben and push him off of me so he's sitting on the floor.
"Well why not!"
"I haven't told her about you yet."
"Well now will be a good time to introduce me wouldn't it." Ben says while standing back up.
" not really" I reply worryingly.
"She'll be fine, she can't exactly be mad at you while your in this condition can she"
We both stare at the door and wait for her to enter.
She enters and starts speaking, " hi darling I brought you a..." She pauses with her mouth wide open and with out thinking says. " who's this" she rushes over to me pushing Ben out the way.
"Mum I would like you to meet Ben" is say calmly hoping she won't freak out.
"And Ben is..."
"He's err... A friend"
"Well it's nice to meet you Ben." She walks over and shakes his hand politely. I then sink into my bed with a sigh of relief.
"It's nice to meet you to mrs er... Er..."
"Greenwood."
"Mrs greenwood" they carry on shaking hands for a while but then it starts getting awkward. So i speak up.
"So what did you buy me mum?"
"Well, you haven't eaten in days so I brought you some snacks." She walks over to me and hands me a packet of crisps and a bar of chocolate. I fake a smile and start eating. Even the sight of food makes me want to gag. But I eat it anyway because I know both Ben and my mum are worried about me.
My mum steps outside for some fresh air and me and Ben finally get a chance to talk to each other in private.
"I love you Darcy." He starts off. "And I was wondering, when you get out of here, would you like to go in a date with me?" He says it quietly and sweetly. I just smile and hug him then say "of course I will."
"So do you know what's actually going on yet?" He asks.
" no not really to be honest..." I tell him about the bone marrow biopsy and how I haven't been feeling great, and that I'm due to get my results any minute now. "So yeah I'm a little nervous."
"You'll be fine. I mean you've only been sick that one time, it's very unlikely anything will actually be wrong." I nod hoping that what he's saying is true.
"I guess"
"What's wrong Darcy, you do believe me right?"
" of course it's just... It could be something. I have had quite a few symptoms. I don't want it to be anything - obviously, but you never know."
"I know it's just-"
"Ben" I interrupt him. "I think I'm going to be sick." I get a sudden pain in my stomach and I become really hot.
"It's okay I'm here." He goes across the room and grabs a sick bowl.
"Thanks" I grab it out his hand then throw up directly into the bowl. He rubs my back trying to help with the pain.
"It's alright Darcy, it's nearly over." Being the gentlemen he is, he takes the bowl over to the other side of the room so it's as far away from me as possible.
He hands me a cup of water and completely ignoring the smell he sweetly kisses me on the cheek.
I start to feel a tiny bit better but then my mum and the doctor come in the room.
"Hi Darcy, I have you results here." He enters looking as pale as a gost. But he never looks me directly in the eye, he just continues to stare down at the floor.
My mum and Ben sit down in a chair. " Ben I think it will be best if just Darcy and her mum are in the room okay." The doctor says. That really worries me, it must be something important now.
"Okay. Bye Darcy" he whispers in my ear then secretly kisses me on the neck.
"Right Darcy, I will share the results with you in a minute, but first I'm going to get an oncologist to come tell you more about it okay."
I turn to face my mum and her face turns white. I know she knows what it means but I don't. Whatever it is it doesn't look good. So while I'm waiting for him to arrive I search up 'oncoligist' on the internet.
Finally loaded, I see just one word. One word... That is to change my life as I know it. I suddenly realise what's going on. But no... No it can't be... It just can't be.

The doctor finally arrives. He sits down in the chair next to my mum and holds her hand. Before saying anything he takes a large breath. "We have gone over the results over and over again with many different specialists. And Im afraid to say... It's not good news." I turn to my mum as both me and her know what's going on, we just don't want it to be said.
He continues.
"Im afraid...

It's leukaemia."