Ocean ward - Part 1

Authors note:
Just thought I'd let you guys know that The reason I have called this part ocean ward is because it was the name of the ward I was on when I was in hospital.

I have never had Cancer, but I did have heart surgery when I was younger.
So this part is a contribute to all the nurses and doctors who helped me through that difficult time, and helped made it an enjoyable experience whilst I was there. I am now fully fit and very healthy, and I wouldn't have the life I have today if it wasn't for them.
I spent a long time on the ocean ward, so I thought I would dedicate this part to it.
A lot of the hospital scenes are also dedicated to my time in the hospital. The ward in real life is not a Cancer ward, it is a heart ward, but in this book it is acting as a Cancer ward.

And finally the picture above is a picture of the real ocean ward.

--
Chapter 11:

"Doctor! She's waking up."
"That's good, but just give her some time, she will not be fully responsive yet"
"Okay...Darcy, it's all over now, you can wake up."
I feel my mum grab my hand as she tells me to wake up. Using her fingers She starts making small circular patterns on my palm. she does this when's she's nervous.

But why would she be nervous?

I'm okay...right?

I feel a lot of shuffling around the room, this must mean there are many doctors and nurses present. I guess I kind of had to be prepared for it, I did get told that I wouldn't be able to do things by myself for a long time. I hate that. I hate not having independence.

My eyes are still closed, I don't know why, but it just seems to be a lot of effort to open them. In a way I don't want to reveal myself to what's going on in the room. I want to keep my eyes shut, until it's all over. So I can skip out all the painful, and negative feelings I get from this whole experience.
But I know that won't be possible.

So gradually I reveal myself to the world outside my mind. And the first thing I see isn't very pleasant. I come face to face with a doctor who's wearing a mask, he's staring straight down at me and watches me as I wake. He's readjusting something next to me. I'm not sure what it is until I go cross eyed to look at my nose. I notice a tube like thing that's giving me oxygen.
The tube wraps around my ears and follows up into my nose. Every few seconds I get large whiff of air, it's horrible not being able to choose your own breaths.
I look up at the doctor who's fiddling with the oxygen tank, and without saying anything he answers the question Im asking myself in my head.
"Darcy, this is a cannula. It is just something to help you breath whilst your in hospital okay!"
I nod my head slowly as I am very stiff.

I then attempt to sit up and look around the room to see more of what's going on.
But straight away a Lady doctor comes running over to me.
"Oh no that's okay darling, you stay lying down and I will just adjust the bed for you okay"
She lightly guides me back down to my bed, and then uses a lever to lift the top half of it upwards slightly.
I am now sat up so I can see everything's that's going on around me.

I was right, there are lots of doctors and people walking around my room.

I turn to my left where I come face to face with a sobbing mother.
"I'm so glad it's all over" she says then jumps up to hug me.
"Well not quite yet Mrs greenwood"
My head oncologist walks over.
"What do you mean?" My mum asks worryingly.
"Well... Let's just say that the easy part is over now. But there is still more to come.
Darcy will have to be in isolation for a little while, whilst we let everything heal. A lot of treatments will be needed to keep her stable, and we will carry on with her usual chemotherapy cycles.
But don't worry, it will all be over soon"