My future starts today...

Jeans? No leggings. Jumper? No a dress. Oh I just don't know what to wear. Today is the first day of college and I'm really nervous. I know I'm going to be seen as the 'new girl', because I've never been to that school before. Well... I went in for one day, but hopefully no one remembers me. I can still remember my day in maths, getting bullied by those boys who turned out to be Ben's friends. I really hope, I won't have to deal with them today. Wow, that seems like ages ago. So much has happened since then!
I'm a different person now, I've not only been going through Cancer I have now beaten it! I'm a much stronger and more confident person than ever.

Also, it's Ben's birthday tommorow. I honestly completely forgot about it. I didn't realise that Luke's and Ben's were so close together. I don't know if he's doing anything for his birthday, he hasn't really talked about it much.
I'm also a bit nervous because last time I went to school with ben, I saw a different side to him. That's what started us off on this massive argument, and I really don't want to get into all that again.
Hopefully he's changed now, and doesn't hang out with the people he used to.

Ben is picking me up in about 10 minutes and I'm still not dressed.
Eventually, I decide to go with plain black leggings, a comfy, but sort of skinny grey jumper, and my brown ugg boots. This will do...
I'm about to go downstairs but then I take one last look in the mirror and realise something... What am I going to do about my bald head? I've been so used to all my family and closest friends seeing me bald, but I don't know if I feel comfortable enough to be bald around school. But I don't want to wear a wig due to the incident I had in the toilet last time. My hair isn't going to grow back until I've finished taking my chemo tablets, that's not for atleast another month. Should I wear my hat? But do they allow hats in school?
Ben interrupts my panic by knocking on the door.
I rush downstairs to open it and as soon as I see him I say"what am I going to do about my head?"
"Er... Hi, nice to see you too darcy. Are you excited for today?"
"No! I don't know what I'm going to do about my bald head." I frantically pace up and down.
"Darcy it's alright calm down. We'll sort out something."
"Do they allow wooly hats in school?"
"Not usually, but I'm sure you'll be allowed an exception."
"But that's the thing, I don't want to look different from anyone else, I don't want to stand out like last time. I just want to be a normal girl. I'm cured from Cancer now, I thought I wasn't supposed to be stressed anymore!"
"Darcy darcy calm down alright. It's not that big of a deal. Would it help if I said that people already know you? And know that you're coming in today?"
"Wait what? Other than my old school friends how does anyone know me".
"Well you think I'm going to be able to keep a secret that my girlfriend and best friend is coming to school today with me for the first time? Is that alright? That i told them."
"Yeah, I guess so. But do they know about my situation."
"Not everyone, but a lot of people do. But that's kind of a good thing. People are expecting it, they won't be shocked or stare at you when you come in today."
"Maybe, I guess that's true. But still... What do I do? Go with the wig, or just the hat?"
"The hat!"
"But why?"
"Because you want people to know who you are straight away. If one day you decide you want to wear a wig then no one is going to recognise you and it will be like being the new girl again. Let them know the real you. Plus, your hair will start growing back soon anyway. Isn't it best to not fake who you are and just face them straight on. You'll have to do it at some point. Today is the best day to do it."
"Okay fine, I'm so glad you're here to make all of my decisions for me."
I hug him then rush upstairs to get my hat and bag.
"Bye darling, have a good day alright." My mums says then kisses me on the cheek.
"Thanks mum. I'll be fine. Bye."
Me and ben walk to school, I'm thankful it's quite warm today.

I stand outside the front gate, and take a large breath in... And out.
"What you worried about Darcy? You'll be fine. I'll introduce you to all my friends."
"It's not that, it's just... Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I never thought this day would ever happen. But now I'm here, ready to start my future. It's just... Kind of a big deal to me you know."
"I know, I get it. what are we waiting for then? Let's go start your future."
"Okay" I take another breath in, and don't breath out until I've entered the school grounds.