Chapter 25 - A Close Shave With Darkness

Author's Note: Well, well, well. Aren't you lucky? I've worked real hard to get these updates in so I hope you like this chapter. Personally, I really enjoyed writing it.

*****

“I think we ought to go.” I said, realising just how heavy the snow was getting. Snowflakes were merging together and I could no longer pick them out individually. I stood up and turned around, just in time to see a pair of glowing eyes staring at me. I shrieked at stumbled backwards, not taking my gaze from the shadows.

“What-?” Began Otto before he saw it too and stood stock still. We both stared dumbly at the eyes and then, slowly, a figure immerged. A black shape, leaving a trail of darkness behind it.

“Otto.” I whispered “It’s...that’s it.”

“What?”He hissed back at me.

“The puppet.” I stared at its burned face, black with soot. Its body crumbled in places, ash falling off it onto the ground. It staggered towards me, eyes glowing for some strange and unexplained reason. It’s grin was charred but still visible. For some reason now that it was burned it looked even more sinister than it had before. “Help?” I said it as a question and looked up at Otto who looked as stricken as me.

“Well I don’t know what to do.” He replied, clearly panicking. “You should have just burned the thing.”

“But I did burn it!” I cried as the puppet stopped and cocked its head.

“Well you obviously didn’t burn it well enough.” He said, grabbing my hand. Cold fingers gripped cold fingers and I tugged at Otto’s arm.

“Shall we just run past it?”

“What if it...” Otto trailed off. We both knew neither of us had the guts to go past the thing. “But we can’t go that way,” he said, nodding behind us “it will take us hours to get back home.”

“Oh well-“ I said, trying to pull Otto with me.

“But we can’t just leave it.” He said, ever persistent “it’ll go off and kill someone. We need to take it to Alexandur.”

“Do you want to go and pick it up? Because I’m really not touching it.” It was then that the puppet decided to speed up and it was also then that I noticed the glint of a knife in its hand. I just kind of threw all of my resolve down the drain then and pulled on Otto saying “run!”

We headed towards town and the houses, ducking into some alleys to try and get away from the small figure. “It can’t run, can it?” Panted Otto.

“No.” I said, my own breath coming heavy “I think it’s still back there.” We both slowed down and turned a corner, my heart was racing and just as I was about to lean against a wall to catch my breath I screamed. Otto jumped next to me and I pointed down the street. Sure enough, there stood the blackened puppet, its knife still in its hand. It still grinned from ear to ear. “How did it do that?” I said, on the verge of tears as we took another turn, away from the figure.

“I have no idea but I don’t like it. Not one little bit.” Then I saw it. Again. Sitting in a shop doorway. It’s eyes glowing.

“What are we going to do?” I asked, my voice trembling as Otto lead me down yet another street. Again. It was there in front of me again. I froze, staring at its eyes. Just glowing there in the darkness. The puppet scraped its knife along the closest wall. A horrible grating sound reached my ears but I didn’t dare look away from those eyes. Somewhere, I could hear Otto calling my name, shaking me. But I didn’t feel it. Not really. It was some other part of me I was no longer in touch with.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The puppet moved forward. Still smiling. Still looking.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The puppet held out its hand, never blinking, never looking away. I found myself holding out my own hand, smiling back at the doll. Even as I saw it draw the knife out further, I couldn’t move. I just leaned closer-

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Closer, closer. Just a little closer-

Then, there was a sudden stinging on my face. Pain, sharp and true, burned on me. My eyes watered and I tear ran down my cheek. But it was enough. I’d looked away, pulled back from the puppet and leant against the wall. I swivelled my eyes to the figure in time to see the lights in its eyes dim and its form crumple to the ground. It’s glass eyes became dull and its body limp. My senses came back to me and I felt the pain burning up my cheek, I felt the fear and the cold and...and...I gasped, trying to catch my breath. “Anna. Anna, look at me.” Said Otto, coming over and turning my head towards his. “Are you alright?” I nodded shakily. “I’m sorry, Anna. I’m sorry I slapped you. I didn’t...I didn’t want to. Does it hurt?” Gingerly, he touched the side of my face and I flinched. “I’m sorry.” Said Otto again, scooping snow from someone’s window sill and pressing it to my face. “Anna-“

“Stop apologising.” I said, shaking him by his coat. “If you hadn’t hit me I’d be lying in the gutter now.”

“I just didn’t know what else to do.” Sighed Otto, running a hand over his face. He looked so guilty.

“Well, you did the right thing. I couldn’t look away from...” I glanced at the puppet “oh, Otto. It was going to kill me.” Tears ran down my face, I couldn’t stop them.

Otto hugged me, crying as well. “I thought it was going to kill you too. I thought we were both dead.”

“Thank you.” I said, quietly.

“It’s alright.” He paused then “you know I’d never hurt you...don’t you?”

“I know and, Otto, really, it doesn’t matter. I’d rather you slap me than leave me to die.” I laughed dryly, tears still leaking from my eyes.

“We need to take the puppet to the gypsies, don’t you think?” Said Otto, walking over to the blackened thing lying on the road.

“Yes. We’re going now. Right now.”

*****

Author's Note: Well, I hope I gave you a little scare with this one. It wasn't as creepy as usual but it involved the main characters so I think that made up for it. I hope ;) Anyway, I hope you liked this and thanks for reading. All your support really is appreciated :)