Chapter 1

*1 week after losing Hope*

"Yes Elijah, I'm sure running up this hill will solve everything" I say to Elijah as I look up at the large forest covered hill.

"I didn't say that it would solve everything, I said that it might help you get your mind off of things" Elijah says as he rolls up his shirt sleeves to his elbows.

"Klaus has locked himself inside of his room for days on end, but no I have to come out here and play wilderness explorer" I say as I bend down and tie my shoe.

"I will not let you handle your grief like Niklaus" Elijah says looking down at me. I stand there in my black sports bra and black Capri leggings. 

"Ah yes, my grief.." I trail off trying not to think about Hope. That's all I can ever think about, her image is branded in my mind. Every time I look down at my stomach I expect to see a large bump, but it is just my flat stomach. "Elijah, I lost my baby, do you really think I want to be out here jogging up a hill to forget all of life's problems?" I ask him as my eyes get watery, it seems like all I can do is cry. I can't sleep, I can't think, I can just cry.

"Go, I'll be right behind you" Elijah says gesturing towards the dense forest that climbs up hill. I let out an exhale and begin to jog away from Elijah. Before I know it I am hybrid speeding to the top. The morning sun is just coming up over the horizon. When I look out upon the land below me more tears begin to form in my eyes. It's so beautiful, I think about how I could bring Hope here one day. I think she'd really like it. Before I know it I'm sobbing. I put my hands on my face and try and wipe away the tears, but they just keep coming. I sink down to my knees and just continue to sob. This isn't how I imagined my first week of mother hood. Sobbing on the top of a hill while I think about how my baby could be anywhere in the world.

"Excuse me, Miss? Are you alright?" A voice asks me, catching my attention. I look up to see a man with a backpack on, he was probably just taking a morning hike. I look at his shoulder and see a bloody wound.  

"What happened to your shoulder?" I ask him curiously as I get to my feet. He looks down at the wound on his shoulder and then back up at me.

"Well, I was trying to pick some fresh apples from a tree, and a branch got me. But really, are you alright?" The man asks me curiously. I take a few steps towards him and stare at the wound.

"No... I'm not alright..." I breathe out as I put my hands on his shoulder wound, pulling away blood on my fingers. The man looks at me horrified as I put the blood to my lips.

"What the hell?" The man asks terrified.

"Don't scream.. Don't run away" I compel the man. He relaxes after I compel him. I have tasted blood straight from the source. Elijah insisted that I drink from blood bags but I hear the man's jugular pumping blood. I reach out my hand and touch the man's pumping artery. I feel the veins in my eyes protrude and my canines come out. Without a second thought I sink them into his neck, tasting the warm blood pour into my mouth. I drink and drink, getting a euphoric feeling from this substance that I never thought I would like so much. I pull away and look at the wound I left on his neck, the blood pours out and I can't control myself. I sink my teeth right back into his neck and begin sucking the blood again. I can hear his heartbeat grow weaker and weaker, but I can't stop. 

"Penelope! Penelope!" Elijah's voice comes out from a few feet away, but I don't stop. He speeds towards me and gets behind me. "Penelope, if you don't stop you are going to kill him" Elijah reminds me, but I don't care, in that moment I don't care. I let go of the man but when I remove my fangs from his neck I hear it snap. The man falls to the ground dead. Elijah looks at me horrified and I just look at the man dead on the ground. My face goes back to normal and I feel the blood trickle from my lips. I feel like I am on an adrenaline high but then I look at the man.