The Key

Even with the tears on my face, I knew what I had to do.

I had to go to my grandparents house.

-------at the house--------

I look at it. The burnt home. I look behind me at the horse grazing contently. Facing the house again, I take a step towards it.

And another.

And another.

And another until I'm standing right at the edge of the porch. Deep breath. This is it.

I walk onto the porch and it creaks a bit. Once I reach the front door, I realize that if I try to open it the wall above and around it would fall. Not good. I head off the porch and around to the back. Following the stone path, I reach the back door which is in much better and stable condition. I put my hand on the handle and twist it.

It's locked.

I let out a groan of frustration. Then it hits me. The extra key my grandparents keep.

Now my grandparents aren't the type of people who hide their extra key in a flower pot or under the door may. Oh no, they hide it well. Like taped to the inside of a gutter well. And that's exactly where it is.

There's a step ladder sitting next to the door that I grab and place by where the key should be in the gutter. Stepping onto the ladder I reach my hand up and feel in the gutter for the key. My hand hits something. I quickly grab the item and pull it out.

It's the key.

I quickly get off the ladder and hurry to the door. It takes a little while for me to get the door open because my hand is shaking so much. Then the door clicks. I turn the handle and push the door open. It creaks as it slowly opens. Peering into the house I notice that everything is still in the place of how it was the oh so many years ago. I stand in the doorway marveling at it all. Something creaks behind me making me turn around quickly. But I see nothing so I walk over and start shutting the door, thinking that the wind just blew the door so it creaked. Then I realize that the key is still in the lock. I pull it out and see a necklace chain on the table by the door. I pull the chain through the hole on the key and put the necklace on.

Now it's time to explore.