Chapter 49

Chapter 49 Extinguisher

Alexa's POV

Two days later, I found myself sitting at the dining room table, Cole beside me and my parents across from us. I guess it really was time to sit down and talk about what was going to happen. Cole had been sleeping in Ben's old room so everyone was starting to catch on that we weren't together. Obviously, my parent's would feel obligated to talk about it considering our awkward situation with Cole living here.

However, after our thirty minute conversation, nothing really changed. My parents and I both agreed that he should stay. He barely said anything, just thanked them before they wrapped up the conversation. He held his head low and I tried to forget the fact that I did that. We all knew he couldn't go back to that house, that he couldn't go back to that abuse. I didn't want him to. I wanted him to stay in Ben's room, to stay here with us so I could know he'd be okay, but in the following weeks, I barely saw him at all. I didn't know where he went but I had a good idea. He only came home to sleep, spending the rest of his time away from the house. I tried to ignore it but I knew in my heart he was partying and I wasn't okay with that. Despite my discomfort, I lost the right to tell him what to do when I picked Noah. I don't regret it but I wish Cole would realize that we were bringing each other down. I didn't realize that until now.

Christmas was right around the corner and soon enough, I found myself decorating the tree with my family, everybody there except for Cole. I just tried to ignore it while I had fun stringing lights and hanging ornaments, Ben putting me on his shoulders so we could reach the very top. Once we had the tree decorated, I placed my mother's antique angel on the very top, adding the final touch.

"It's beautiful." I smiled as Ben lowered me, allowing me to climb off his shoulders.

I giggled as he began to rub his shoulders, pushing me when he noticed I was laughing at him. I stumbled, losing my balance and almost falling into the tree before Sawyer caught me in his arms, glaring harshly at Ben.

"Watch what you're doing, Ben." Sawyer scolded, his overprotective streak being put on full display as he glared at our older brother.

Aaron chuckled, his mop of curls bouncing as he pushed Ben.

"Yeah Ben....watch what you're doing." My little brother teased.

Ben cocked his eyebrow before picking Aaron up, slinging him over his shoulder and carrying our dark blonde haired brother around in circles. Ben had always teased Aaron about being a stepchild. He definitely looked like us in some ways but his hair was much lighter than any of ours. However, I had noticed it starting to darken and always made Ben apologize for calling him our stepbrother. I shook my head at them as my phone began vibrating in my back pocket. I pulled it out and immediately answered it when I saw Noah's name sprawled across the screen.

"Hey, Noah." I smiled collapsing on the couch, my mother glaring at me for not taking my shoes off.

I quickly kicked them off before snuggling into the cushions, Sawyer sitting down on my feet moments later but I didn't move them, his butt actually keeping my feet warm. I rolled my eyes at him and he rested his head on my bent knees. I never understood how he could be so comfortable in the most awkward positions. I shook my head, focusing on Noah.

"So...What's up?" I asked him, taking note of his unusually quiet manner. He could usually talk my ear off for hours.

"Uh...so we were putting the tree up...me and uh...Cassie came by. She hasn't been back since Thanksgiving."

"Is she talking to your dad?"

"They're talking downstairs now...by talking, I mean yelling. I don't know what's going to happen but I'm guessing divorce. She's beyond pissed obviously and she wanted to know if my mother had been here."