Chapter 42

Chapter 42 Extinguisher

Alexa's POV

Time.

Time left me feeling totally lost but still feeling like my decisions were justified. I felt happy with Cole. I truly did but I could hardly sleep ever since the phone call with Noah. At night, I lied away in Cole's arms until the comfort of being close to him was enough to lull me into a light, restless slumber. I'd seen Noah at school standing by his locker with Meg. They didn't look like they were together and quite frankly, I shouldn't have cared if they were. However, that didn't stop me from caring. I cared.

Meg was just too perfect and I hated the fact that there was absolutely nothing to hate about her. She was endearing and likeable, things that I could never be. I was jealous and I knew it, taking twice as long at my locker to listen to their conversations. I knew eavesdropping was rude and pathetic, but did I care? No, I didn't. Noah told me he loved me and now he's hanging out with Meg because she decided to call him? I'm selfish, and shamefully, I wish she was still mad at him. The girl probably hates me and I really don't blame her. I would hate me too. I just can't help but to be jealous of her because she gets to have what I want. Deep down, I want Noah in my life. Things have just gone too far for us to go back to friends. I don't even know what we are right now. Thanksgiving was approaching at lighting speeds and I'd have to face him. Our families would be together. No doubt about that.

"Hey, princess."

I looked up at my dad, smiling as I wrapped Noah's flannel tightly around my body, snuggling into the soft couch.

"Hey, dad."

I huffed as he picked up my feet to sit down, resting them on his lap once he got comfortable. Despite my dad's tough appearance, he was a softy around our immediate family. He absolutely loved to just lounge around on his days off, watching TV or just doing nothing. This afternoon, it was only me, my dad, and Aaron. My mom and Cole were both working and Sawyer had two classes to go to before he'd be home. Aaron was somewhere upstairs doing who knows what, probably playing video games against people from China.

"Cole's working today?"

"Yeah, he's working until seven." I nodded.

"Well...I guess it's just us for a few hours...just me and my two youngest babies." He smiled, referring to Aaron and me.

"Dad, you're so weird." I chuckled, shaking my head as I adjusted my pillow behind my head, my dad reaching for the remote controller.

"I see you're wearing Noah's clothes again."

"Don't tell Cole."

My dad chuckled, shaking his head.

"What?" I asked, wanting to know why exactly he had a smirk on his face. He was so smug. We all know where Ben gets his...traits from.

"Oh...nothing....That boy just loves you with all his heart. It's funny to watch because you're just like I was at a certain point in my life, so afraid of receiving love. You're mom changed that for me."

"And what...you think Noah's changing it for me?"

"I didn't say that. I'm just saying that...Well I see the way you look at him, Lex. You do know that you can fulfill your dreams and desires. I don't want you to do anything because you feel like you have to, but just know that I'll always support your decisions if their healthy one's that make you happy."

"Dad..." I smiled, getting emotional by his words.

I composed myself, taking a deep breath before attempting to speak again.