Chapter 17

Chapter 17 Extinguisher

Noah's POV

I picked up my lamp, the cord easily ripping from the wall socket before I smashed it against my bedroom wall, sheetrock dust discharging from the new hole behind my door. I kept finding something to break, ignoring the soft knocks coming from the opened door where Cassie stood. She was probably scared of me, but I had other things to worry about, like the fact I literally couldn't calm down. My chest heaved up and down as I paced the room, my breathing heavy. My adrenaline was at its peak, causing me to continue smashing everything I owned. Every object I broke morphed into Cole's face and I pretended to beat the living daylights out of him.

She was fine. We were fine. What happened?

I knew what had happened. This was all Cole's fault and it was so obvious. She was fine before school and then by the end of the day, she'd shattered all hopes for us. How she could do that after all we'd been through was beyond me, but I didn't care what made her do it. I just wanted her back. I'm not going to be able to relax until she's in my arms.

What if she's sleeping with him right now?

I screamed in frustration, pulling at my roots and ramming the toe of my boot into my nightstand, grunting as the wood split in two as I continued to kick it. My dad would literally kill me as soon as he got home, but hopefully by then, I'd be calm enough to deal with his wrath. Besides, I know I got this anger from him. My mom is such a gentle, easygoing person and my dad...well...he's my dad. He can get impulsive and anger takes over his body, the same way it does mine. I'm just like him in most ways. My anger scared me but it was the only way I knew how to deal with the situation. I could have gone and slept with Vic or got drunk, but trashing my room seemed much more appealing. I knew that I couldn't stop fighting for her. I promised myself that a long time ago. I promised myself that I would make that girl realize what she deserves and I plan on following through with it. I don't fucking care what Cole has been through; Lex needs a good, stable guy. Lex needs me and I need her. I know he brings her down. Maybe it's not intentional and I know he's not the reason why she makes bad decisions but the people she picks to befriend and date, influence her.

For the past couple of weeks, she's been better. I've seen a complete transformation for her. Instead of partying, she came to me. Instead of cutting, she'd crawl through my bedroom window, curling up beside me in my bed, talking to me for hours upon hours. I loved it. I know she thinks she was a burden but that's the last thing she has been. I've loved every moment of the past couple weeks. They made me fall harder in love with her, fall deeper under her spell.

I'm in love with her.

With a final blow to my bedside table, my breathing began to slow and my heartrate calmed down a bit as I collapsed on my mattress, burying my head in my hands. My eyes fluttered closed as I thought about how much I'd miss her touch, her lips, and most of all, her. I was aware that Cassie stood by my open door just a few feet away, but I didn't let it bother me. I couldn't stop the trembling of my hands even if I wanted to. By this point, I wanted to disappear and go anywhere, somewhere pain was nonexistent and I could live happily. Then again, part of me knew I didn't want to be anywhere Lex wasn't. I told her today that if she walked away, I'd be done for good. The saddest thing is; I can never be done.

"Noah..." Cassie said, her voice quiet and hesitant, making my skin crawl because somehow even her voice reminded me of Lex's.

"Cass...Just please go away. I don't want to say something to you I'll regret, something I won't mean." I managed to say, dropping my hands to my lap to look up at her as she leaned against the doorjamb.