Chapter 52 : Shooting Star

Eun Hee's House. Early Morning. Eun Hee's POV.

I land on the last steps of the staircase, watching Eomma busily rush back and forth by the kitchen counter. I scratch the back of my hair, making awkward eye contact with my dog Byul. With hope, I open my arms wide for her to snuggle in, but as the same result as last night, she has shun me like a total stranger. I sigh through my nose, dragging myself to greet Eomma and take place down the dinner table.

But before I could do so, I stood paralyze in place seeing more than two plates and servings of food. I raise a brow, trying to grab her attention with my mouth hanging loose. It was only when I pulled a chair that she noticed. "Morning, Eomma. Uhm, is it safe to ask about the number of plates on the table for breakfast?"

She grins, placing another big bowl of seaweed soup."Omo, didn't you hear my last night? I set up a breakfast welcome party and called Jin-ah, Ami and Jihoon. You know, the moment I told them about your unexpected trip back home they just couldn't wait to see you that they rushed over here the moment you fell asleep."

I put a displaced look, chuckling unevenly as I can imagine my best friends doing so. And yet, at the same time, felt nostalgia overcome me again. I retain a smile and turned on the television for the morning news. The room filled with its noises and for a second there, made me remember my days when I was still in High school. Where long days were spent studying my eyes off to get that noble scholarship in Yonsei University, and when I compare it now, it all feels like a distant memory.

Upon taking a small sip of my lemon water, the moment I land my glass flat down the table, a visible shaking started to appear, almost getting nearer and nearer. Suddenly, in the burst of the moment, the door gets bombarded with countless of loud knocks, sounding as if a thief is trying to break down the door or something.

Before I could take a stand and open it, Eomma beats me to it holding onto a wooden spoon on her right hand. I continue to stare off at the wall that blocks the door, hearing squeals and giggles from both Jin-ah and Ami. And finally, they appear in sight, looking the same as when I last left Busan. I rush out of my chair and decided to greet them face to face.

I set wide arms for them to tackle me with an embrace, but instead, they gave me a strange expression, thinking that I was some lunatic or something. I retain this position, my eyes following their movement as they search the whole living room for what appears to be their friend Eun Hee, or AKA me.

Eomma watches with satisfactory, assuming she's having quite a laugh inside of her. I sigh helplessly, catching both their hand. "Jin-ah! Ami! This is me, Eun Hee! Your friend, remember?" Ami squints her eyes, pulling it back with disagreement. "Uhm, I'm sorry. You must have gotten the wrong people. And it's weird how you have the same name as my friend."

Both simultaneously shook my hand away from theirs, still roaming the whole place to find me. I slap a palm on my forehead, thinking of some way to make them believe me or else, they'd see me as a complete stranger like Byul does. A bright ideas pops out after seconds, "O-Okay. It seems that my new look is confusing the both of you. Go ahead and ask me a question that only Eun Hee would know."

In an instance, Jin-ah and Ami stared at one another, giving it some thought before nodding at each other. "Alright. Then tell me the exact location of Eun Hee's favorite cake shop." said Jin-ah, her arms crossed with a serious tone. I help up a smile, "Gingko's Cake Shop located an hour away from here beside a Japanese Ramen store and beside a watch repair shop that Jin-ah always visits when running out of batteries for her watch that was given to her by her late Father."

I was able to sneak in a laugh because their reaction wasn't what I had in mind, but it was better. Their awestricken look turns into a joyous expression, leading me to be tackled down the couch. "Oh my God, Eun Hee! It's really you! You changed so much! Is this really what happens when you visit Seoul?!" "Eun Hee! Your skin is so soft like a model! Is it because of the Seoul food you eat there that it maintains this beautiful glow?!"