Aromantic and Asexual

Percy knocked on Nico's door, rocking back and forth on his heels.

"Nico!" he yelled. "Wakey, wakey!"

The door swung open. Nico's hair stuck up in gravity defying directions and the bags under his eyes could have carried a whole shopping list.

"What do you want?" he grumbled.

"I wanted to ask if you wanted to train later." Percy grinned. Nico blinked blearily up at him.

"No thanks."

Percy scrunched his nose. "Come on! Please?"

"Can't," Nico replied, leaning against his door frame. "I have a date with Will."

Percy groaned. "Come on! Don't blow me off to have sex with your boyfriend!"

That made Nico freeze. He tilted his head and scrutinised Percy's face with a hint of curiosity in his eyes.

"Percy... you know I'm aroace, right?"

Percy's brain glitched. "What?"

"I'm aromantic and asexual," Nico said slowly. "I don't experience romantic or sexual attraction. Well, some aroace people do to a certain degree, but I don't. I'm not 'blowing you off to have sex with my boyfriend'. I don't like sex."

"But..." Percy hesitated. "If you're aroace then why are you dating Will?"

"I still love him," Nico stated, a little irritated. "Just not in a romantic way. He knows. He's on the aroace spectrum too. All sorts of people can date. It doesn't have to be romantic or sexual."

"What is it then?"

Nico shrugged. "It's me and Will. Now if you're done with your questions, I'd like to go back to sleep. You can ask Annabeth stuff. I bet she knows a lot about it."

"Sure," Percy said. He was about to leave but paused. "Hey, um. I'm proud of you."

Nico rolled his eyes and slammed the door in his face.