Sunshine

My darling idiot,

You once asked me why I love you. I gave you the short answer: you are my sunshine. I wanted to tell you more because I don't think you realised what I meant.

You are the sunshine that streams through our window and onto our bed in the morning where it casts shadows over your sleeping face as you lie curled up with the faintest smile and dark curls spread out on the pillow.

You are the sunshine in your smile when your face lights up and your eyes start to twinkle as you clasp your hands behind your back, swaying gently side to side with excitement and joy.

You are the sunshine when I come home from a long day at work to see you on the sofa watching TV and waiting for me, no matter how late it is, to hug me and kiss me and take me to bed.

You are the sunshine when I hold you in my arms and trail fingers lightly up and down your back as I kiss your head and think to myself just how incredibly lucky I am.

You are the sunshine when I fall asleep with you beside me, your head on my chest and your hair tickling my nose so that the smell of your shampoo envelops me as I lose consciousness.

You asked me once why I love you.

I ask you how I could not.

Will