Too This, Too That, Too Much

"Remind we why we're doing this again?" Nico asked as he sat beside Will under thick, fluffy blankets surrounded by pillows on the sofa area in their holiday house's garden at about eleven at night.

"It's cute," Will answered, pulling Nico closer. Nico obliged and lifted his legs up to tuck to his chest while leaning into Will, his head rested in the crook of his boyfriend’s neck. Will’s arms wrapped around him protectively.

It was decently warm that night and the sky was clear. Up above, the stars shone down, bathing them in silver light. The sky was a dark canvas with painted fireflies scattered across it. The trees stood tall, branches brushing each other and animals coming out to play or finally going to rest. A certain sense of peace has settled over the landscape like the world had been covered by a thin veil.

"Nice, isn't it?" Will smiled. Nico nodded, allowing himself to relax. After a few moments, Will spoke again.

"Would you still love me if I was a worm?"

Nico scrunched up his nose in confusion. "Will, what?"

"Would you still love me if I was a worm?" Will repeated, shifting to cuddle closer still. Nico blinked.

"Are we talking if you'd only ever been a worm or if you were turned into one? If you had always been a worm then of course not that would be disturbing but if the Gods got mad and zapped you then yeah I would. Amore, where's this coming from?"

"No where," Will said. "Sorry for ruining the moment."

"You could never ruin anything," Nico replied. He wasn't daft. Will never asked that kind of question without it stemming from something. Nico also knew he was less likely to get an answer if he pushed so he waited patiently.

Will sighed heavily. "I'm sorry. I'm being weird."

Nico didn't say anything.

"I just..." Will hesitated. "Six years. We've been together six years. I've never had anything go this well for this long. I keep waiting for something to go wrong. It always does. I tend to torpedo most of my relationships. I really don't want that to happen with us."

"It won't happen this time," Nico promised. "If it does, I'll probably be the one who messed up."

"I'm not good at this, Nico. I'm not good at being good with people. I don't have a sense of boundaries, I say the wrong things and I don't mean to. I try my hardest but I don't know how to get people to like me. I'm overbearing and I drive them away. I can't..." Will took a deep breath and kissed Nico’s hair. "I don't know how you put up with me."

Tears were rolling down Will’s cheeks and he held onto Nico tightly as if he might fade into the shadows any second.

"If I don't make you happy then why keep me around. I want to be the best person for you and I don't know how to do that. I'm rude and blunt and too pushy for a lot of people. I get told I'm too this, too that, too much."

"You're never too much for me," Nico said quietly. "You're the exact right amount of you. You're so hard on yourself. The second peopke take the time to get to know you they realise how great you are. You care. Y'know, if you're always waiting for something bad to happen the you never get to appreciate things while they last. You never get to enjoy yourself."

Nico hugged Will tightly as he silently cried.

"I love you," Nico murmured. Will squeezed him in return.

They fell asleep curled up with the stars smiling down on two boys very much in love and with so much left of their lives to live. Their time on earth was limited but it felt like eternity and every minute spent together could never be too much.