Chapter 1

In the great summer of the eighth year of Yonghe, on the day of the summer solstice, the outskirts of the capital Chang'an were alive with the verdant waves of the forest, leaving traces with every gust of wind. A clear and distant whistle rose, and from the lush foliage, an inconspicuous black-feathered bird suddenly darted out, soaring straight into the clouds. The bird glided over the majestic city towers and bustling streets before diving into the residence of the Grand Marshal, landing on the shoulder of a man in black, his features marked by a distinct openness.

Qin Zhao removed a bamboo tube from the bird's leg, skimmed the letter within, and turned to ascend the steps.

In the study, the air was fragrant with sandalwood. Leaning against the desk, a young man in a dark blue brocade robe was peeling lychees. The bright red peel of the lychees made his fair fingers seem even more translucent.

"You've returned at just the right time," said Chu Mingyun, without looking up. "Care for some?"

Qin Zhao handed over the letter, "Chen Xuanwen is dead."

Chu Mingyun paused, glancing at Qin Zhao before taking the letter with clean hands. He read through it casually, his expression unchanging, but as he set the letter down, he chuckled ambiguously, "Chen Xuanwen was a benefactor to me. Sending people to secretly escort him home was merely a gesture of goodwill. I didn't expect such a turn of events."

"I failed in my duties," Qin Zhao said.

"Enough," Chu Mingyun replied, "It was a suicide; there's nothing you could have done."

Silence fell upon Qin Zhao.

Chen Xuanwen, having lived beyond the age of seventy, served as the Minister of War, assisting three generations of emperors and held great prestige in the court. Recently, he had requested to retire back to his hometown. The emperor had bestowed gifts, and many officials saw him off, his departure as serene as his life. Even the shadow guards sent for his protection had reported back, not anticipating his sudden suicide at home.

When the shadow guards returned upon hearing the news, they found only a chaotic scene of bloodstains. Chen Xuanwen's body had already been taken care of by the local authorities. Rumors circulated that one night, he suddenly indulged in excessive drinking and singing, then fell silent. When neighbors inquired, they found him dead by his own sword, blood splattered everywhere. There were even whispers of eight bloody characters he had supposedly written on the wall:
"Unable to bear the pressure, I die to make a statement."

"Did he really write that before his death?" Chu Mingyun inquired.

"The shadow guards didn't see any writings when they arrived. It's unclear if it's true or not. The local authorities are keeping it under wraps, merely stating he passed away, nothing more," Qin Zhao explained.

"Ah, Chen Xuanwen was no ordinary man. His sudden death at home has the local authorities worried about stirring trouble in the capital, preferring to quickly cover up the matter. Whitewashing peace is what they do best," Chu Mingyun leaned back, tapping the letter lightly, "Rumors don't spread without reason. Those words do seem in line with his character; it's likely true but probably destroyed due to being too conspicuous."

Qin Zhao was taken aback, "Is there indeed a problem here?"

Chu Mingyun then asked, "Did you see any of Chen Xuanwen's family members there?"

After pondering for a moment, Qin Zhao shook his head, "According to reports, no."

"No wonder, then."

"What do you mean?"

"'Unable to bear the pressure, I die to make a statement.' This isn't about personal vendettas. Chen Xuanwen, having served for many years, not to mention the countless people who've benefited from his favor, let alone the secrets he knew. If someone could turn him to their advantage, they'd have the upper hand in court," Chu Mingyun smirked coldly, "Unable to entice, they resort to threatening his family. It's an old tactic."