The Unforgiving Night

Javi extended a hand toward Joan, shaking it firmly.

Javi: Nice to meet you, too.

Joan returned the gesture with a cordial smile.

Joan: I trust you've been treated well? I hope you haven't been handled too roughly.

Andy interjected with a touch of sincerity

Andy: Yeah, if it has been... rough. We're terribly sorry.

Javi waved off the concern.

Javi: No need. I feel like I'm home at last.

Joan's gaze softened.

Joan: I hope Richmond can become your home. I know David would like that. And nothing pleases me more than seeing families reunited.

Andy's tone shifted, a hint of sorrow creeping in.

Andy: Sadly, my family died. I had a brother and a mother.

Javi empathized

Javi: Walkers?

Andy corrected

Andy: No. Some crazy lunatic killed them for no reason. Been hunting him down ever since.

Javi offered his condolences

Javi: I'm... terribly sorry.

Andy: It's fine. You weren't involved

Andy assured.

Joan redirected the conversation

Joan: We were just about to eat.

On the table lay two contrasting sets of food: a chocolate cake and a plate of healthy spinach.

Joan continued

Joan: Clint was trying to convince me of the essential superiority of his creamed spinach over my magnificent black forest gateau.

Clint chimed in

Clint: It's no contest. The spinach has real nutritional value.

Andy interjected with a wry smile

Andy: See what I have to deal with?

Joan invited Javi to weigh in

Joan: Javi, take a look at that table. You tell me what you'd rather put in your belly.

Approaching the table, Javi examined the spread. Joan pressed

Joan: Spinach from Clint's garden, heh? Or a baked delicacy by yours truly.

Javi grinned

Javi: I'd have to go with that cake. I haven't seen anything like that in years.

Clint shrugged

Clint: Ugh. Suit yourself.

Joan chuckled

Joan: Come on, Clint. At least he's being honest.

Clint took a seat, and Joan encouraged everyone, "Please, make yourself comfortable." Javi and David settled on church benches, while Joan and Andy sat near Clint on the opposite side.

Joan: We value straight talk here, so please forgive me if I seem direct. We're usually pretty strict about who we open our doors to. Your brother's word counts for a lot.

Javi inquired 

Javi: Is that so?

Joan: The four of us, and Doctor Lingard, make all the decisions here. So, yeah.