Fairy Tales

We were sitting in Alex's office talking or just listening to Wayne talking. Wayne asked me about the mark. I showed him. He touched it and I was on my knees in instant pain. It was like shards of glass was being shoved into my body, all over at the same time.

Kai was between us. "You can't touch him!" He turned and dropped to the floor. "You okay?" He kissed me and wrapped around me. I knew he was scared.

I was in tears and breathless. "Damn! Glad Vince didn't know that part. He could have killed us all!"

I am keeping this hidden from now on. I didn't realize that Vince was more right then he knew. This makes you vulnerable.

Kai helped me off the floor and I was shaking. I sat in a chair with Kai's help.

"I am so sorry, Gibbs!" Wayne felt bad. "I had no idea. I didn't know for sure how it even worked. I have only heard of it. I knew of someone a long time ago." He felt terrible.
I put my head between my knees and took a breath. "We need to keep that part quiet. No one needs to know what that can do!" The men nodded. I was worried for Kai now. Someone could take advantage and kill him. "I will keep it covered. No one else can know." Kai didn't like that part. "If I had known that this could kill you I would never have agreed!" I was in tears.

"No, don't worry, Gibbs. This changes nothing." Kai promised. He was being a vampire at the moment. "I would still die for you. You are my life. Before you, I never lived. Please, don't cover it. No one knows details about it." He couldn't bear it if Gibbs covered his mark. He didn't know why but he needed to be able to see it. He needed others to see it.

"Kai may be right. No one does it and not many vampires know about the mark or what it can do. I don't think you are in any danger, Gibbs." Wayne smiled. He couldn't believe that Kai was married. "Kai, are you okay?"

Kai nodded. He didn't take his eyes off of me.

"If you're sure..." I wasn't sure. I looked up at Kai. He looked more calm for now.

Wayne nodded. He was sure that we were safe.

I trusted Wayne and Kai. "Okay. Let's hope that no one figures that out, huh!" I smiled at Kai. He looked more stable. The vampire was almost calm. I touched his face and knew that he felt better.

Wayne cleared his throat. "There is another thing that I should address. Well, that needs to be addressed. It's about the mark. I heard of a couple, they were vampires." Wayne paused. He took a breath. He never talked about this before. "Anyway, two vampires were linked, like you. He marked her eventually. It is rumored that she became pregnant."

Kai just stared at Wayne. This was a children's story for vampires. He knew this story. "Yes. A man and woman, vampires, who were in love. They were linked like us. He marked her and she became pregnant and had a child. I have heard that story, Wayne." Kai knew it was a fantasy.

"Right, of course you have. It's one of the only love stories, us vampires have. The thing you should know is that it was true. It happened." Wayne said quietly.

Kai laughed. "What? That is nothing more than a fun, romantic story made up to give us false hope of ever having a child."

"No, Kai. It wasn't." Wayne looked serious and sad. "The man marked her after they were linked and they had a little boy. He grew up human until the age of eighteen. He was a normal human in every way. On his eighteenth birthday, he became a vampire. He was already married by then. It was the middle of the night when he woke up from a nightmare."

Wayne took a breath. "He woke up hungry. He tried to hunt down his family. He had terrified his wife and his three sons. He was lucky and stopped himself before something terrible happened. He didn't know what he was. No one knew that he was going to turn. He didn't kill his family but the damage was done. They feared him. They knew that he was dangerous. He was a vampire."