The Struggle Within

Start from the beginning

As they sat around the flickering flames, the glow highlighting their faces, the group found a moment of solace in each other's company. Yet, the ever-present uncertainty of their future lingered in the air.

Clementine: (looking at the fire) We're like a little family, aren't we?

Lee: (smiling) Yeah, we are. And families stick together.

The tranquil atmosphere of the camp was abruptly shattered by the distant echoes of a man's voice, demanding answers.

Man: Don't lie to us! How many people you got with you?

Yhwach and Lee swiftly rose to their feet, their focused gazes synchronized on the source of the interrogation. Christa stammered nervously.

Christa: I... I'm by myself!

Omid sprang up instantly, ready to join the fray, but Lee intervened.

Lee: No, Omid, stay with Olivia. Yhwach, stick with Omid just in case. Clem and I will check it out. Take this, just in case you need it.

Lee tossed a gun to Omid.

Omid: Okay, but hurry.

Clementine and Lee moved towards the origin of the voice alongside Christa.

Second Man: You're obviously with someone. Where are the rest of your people?

Lee and Clementine found cover behind a tree, Lee gripping his gun.

Clementine: Lee, we gotta help Christa.

Lee aimed his gun and shot one of the men in the foot, prompting him to yell. Lee then urged Christa to run.

Lee: Christa, run!

She sprinted towards them.

They swiftly retraced their steps back to the camp, where Yhwach and Omid stood, holding the box with Olivia.

Lee: We have to go now!

A third man shouted that they were spotted as the group darted into the woods. While running, Clementine slipped and tumbled down a muddy slope.

Without hesitation, Yhwach and Lee leaped after her, separating from Christa and Omid.

Lee: Clem, hold on, we're coming!

Reaching the bottom, they rushed to Clementine's aid. As one of the men aimed at them from the top of the slope, Yhwach retaliated, causing him to slip and fall.

Lee helped Clementine up, and they continued running without looking back. Hours passed before they paused.

Clementine: Do you think Christa, Omid, and the baby got away safe?

Lee: I hope so. I'm sure we'll meet them soon.

The wind rustled through the trees, and Clementine clung to Lee's remaining arm.

Yhwach: It's fine, Clementine. It's just—

Yhwach paused as a German Shepherd emerged from behind the bushes.

Clementine: A dog!

Lee: Careful, Clem. He could be dangerous.

Yhwach: The dog's name is Sam.

Clementine: Maybe his owners are nearby?

Sam barked and led the way.

As they emerged from the woods, they discovered a destroyed camp with a battered camper van. Inside, Lee found a picture of Sam with a family— a woman, a man, and a child younger than Clementine.